Any threads on improving cheap speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I enjoy Troels site too.

It's a cheap stamped chassis with a fair lip on it already mate, the walls of the cabinet aren't terribly thick either so I don't think chamfering will yield much improvement?

If I decide to put a new midrange/fullrange in that will definitely need some work.

Attachments

• 20190417_203327_resized.jpg
    20190417_203327_resized.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 127
I enjoy Troels site too.

It's a cheap stamped chassis with a fair lip on it already mate, the walls of the cabinet aren't terribly thick either so I don't think chamfering will yield much improvement?

If I decide to put a new midrange/fullrange in that will definitely need some work.

Makes sense then. I was thinking they are thin and won't be effective that much just now, logged back on re-check

Hard to get much glue into a joint like yours, with the end grain compromising adhesion. Your box is really narrow so I would glue felt on the side walls near the woofer. My other standard trick not yet mentioned is to reinforce/damp the flat area on the basket between the struts and the magnet. It is a structural flaw that all high end drivers correct with the struts extending directly to the magnet structure. SB Satori for example. I use plumbers' putty. "Extreme Basket Tricks" is an old thread here that covers this subject.

Hard to get much glue into a joint like yours, with the end grain compromising adhesion. Your box is really narrow so I would glue felt on the side walls near the woofer. My other standard trick not yet mentioned is to reinforce/damp the flat area on the basket between the struts and the magnet. It is a structural flaw that all high end drivers correct with the struts extending directly to the magnet structure. SB Satori for example. I use plumbers' putty. "Extreme Basket Tricks" is an old thread here that covers this subject.

I thought someone already mentioned plumbers putty on the chassis? I've done it myself years ago in a bass reflex 8" full range design, don't know if it helped at all though?

I don't have any felt but I do have heaps of the foam displayed in the first post so that will be getting liberally applied.

Now if anyone mentions EnABL I'll get cross :p

Cross bracing, along with shoring up the woofer's cabinet connection (even making a bad square of reinforcement behind the woofer and longer screws where you can helps here) are likely to give you the best bang for buck mechanically. Earl Gedlee recommends lossy cross braces for dampening, which makes sense. A little half-lap or laminated structure glued with a lossy adhesive (use whatever scraps you have!) to bridge across panels wouldn't hurt.

My description is no good. I'll try to make a picture. Other recommendations follow what's been given: internal ribs screwed only on the ends and again adhered with a flexible adhesive makes for a decent poor-man's CLD, too.

I have had good results from dampening the internal faces of the speaker cabinet. Like BBC style cabinets.
I have used rubber type carpet underlay in the past - Carpet tiles with bitumen layers are what I am using at the moment, stuck down with contact adhesive.
Don't over think it though, use what you can source and have fun!
The bracing you showed in post 39 will not be very effective as the braces need to be near to the middle of the panel to resist flex. Placing the braces a little off centre can help as the the differing lengths will have different resonant frequencies.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Fostex made a heavy solid brass "Adapter Ring" for the version of the FE208 ES Sigma that as far as I know was only released in Japan. Because that version of the driver had a double size magnet (two laminated together) I think they produced the adapter ring for those who had already built with "lesser" 208s who wanted to upgrade, holding the driver out from the baffle by the thickness of one lamination, thus keeping volumes inside the cab the same.

As well as the volume adjustment though, they had the effect of increasing the effective mass of the driver basket or effective baffle stiffness and you could easily hear the difference in transient clarity.

My guess is that if you add mass to the basket in the right way you could improve the driver a little.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have lost track of the number of these I have been given to "Play" with.
All these cheap Japanese brand speakers have one thing in common, cheap.
Years ago I would have invested days and dollars tarting them up and trying to make them better but in truth the improvements I made were slight apart from the benefits of lots of stuffing.
They sold so well because they actually sounded pretty good for the money, being a decent full range with tweeter and super tweeter assist.
Don't go overboard money wise.

I have lost track of the number of these I have been given to "Play" with.
All these cheap Japanese brand speakers have one thing in common, cheap.
Years ago I would have invested days and dollars tarting them up and trying to make them better but in truth the improvements I made were slight apart from the benefits of lots of stuffing.
They sold so well because they actually sounded pretty good for the money, being a decent full range with tweeter and super tweeter assist.
Don't go overboard money wise.

I pulled apart a set of technics a few months ago and they were of an identical "philosophy" design wise, cheap :)

I've no problem spending some time on them, I think bracing will yield some good results and I'm going to pick up a few pillows at kmart this evening, I reckon that's the cheapest way to get some polyester stuffing?

You think give the caps a miss? I'm tempted to pop into jaycar and grab them today too.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I pulled apart a set of technics a few months ago and they were of an identical "philosophy" design wise, cheap :)

You think give the caps a miss? I'm tempted to pop into jaycar and grab them today too.

Actually I think that recapping is a good idea, because the values are so small the cost isn't great if you use the cheaper CrossCap but I buy mine from Speakerbug
Capacitors
I've used the Jaycar caps and even I can tell the difference between the yellow Jaycar, the potted greencaps and the Jantzen CrossCap
But you run the risk of spending more than the purchase price on the tweak, only you can determine if there is value in that

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Allen we are talking here about a specific 1uF cap on a super tweeter and a single 3.3uf on a tweeter and I think that the Japanese actually did a little bit on homework here.
If the OP stays with the factory selected values then I fail to see the relevance of the comment, please enlighten me.
I have a similar XO on a board in front of me right now although this one also has a small iron cored inductor as well, although these are 100V electrolytics and not the usual 35V found on the cheapest of the cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.