Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Dayton Audio DS215-8
Dayton Audio DS215-8
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2019, 08:23 PM   #1
lordy101 is offline lordy101
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton Audio DS215-8

Has anyone used this driver in a three way? Is it any good. Thinking of using it with a Monacor 175HQ in the midrange and a SB acoustics tweeter. Thanks.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:25 AM   #2
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

It looks very good to me and totally overlooked by diy-ers in my opinion.

DAYTON AUDIO DS215-8 (Woofer 8", 8 Ohm, 160 Wmax)
Old 12th April 2019, 05:54 AM   #3
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Dayton looks solid, IMO a good choice for a 3-way bass driver. I'm a bit puzzled about the Monacor 175HQ as midrange since it's capable of reproducing bass quite well too, it's around the same dynamics (bit lower) as the dayton. Even sealed it adds ~14l to the enclosure. To cross them over low you'd probably need an impedance compensation (which is expensive) if you go passive. A Visaton B80, B100 or a Monacor MSH-115, MSH-115HQ4 (or something similar) would probably be a better fit?
Old 12th April 2019, 06:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. I have considered the Monacor for bass duties but it requires a big enclosure (38L). Your right 14L for midrange is a lot but the Monacor is flat to 4k so crosses ok with most tweeters. WINISD says I can get the Dayton Audio to work in a 19L enclosure to 48hz. I should be able to get away with a smaller enclosure and that's the main reason.
Old 12th April 2019, 06:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Looking at a 400hz crossover. Not sure what you mean by inpedence compensation though I will do some reading as they are both 8ohms and 89db.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:57 AM   #6
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy101 View Post
..... but the Monacor is flat to 4k ...
Where have you seen this? From measurements i have seen the driver seems to struggle to get any output above 2k. But the driver looks still good, but a bit high Fs and Qts
Old 12th April 2019, 05:00 PM   #7
Phenoholic Anonymus is offline Phenoholic Anonymus
diyAudio Member

I used it long time ago, believe it was in a subwoofer. Only remember i was dissapointed... I do like Dayton drivers. For example the Dayton DCS 205-4 is superb for subwoofer use. This one not so much.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have considered the Monacor for bass duties but it requires a big enclosure (38L). Your right 14L for midrange is a lot but the Monacor is flat to 4k so crosses ok with most tweeters.
No, that won't work. The Monacor is good but only up to 2k and it will narrow the dispersion very much at 4k and the tweeter will go wide again. Very bad combination. If you want to go for 4k upper XO, use a 3" midrange, not 6"1/2.

Most tweeters can be crossed over much lower though, which one do you plan to use?

Quote:
Looking at a 400hz crossover. Not sure what you mean by inpedence compensation though I will do some reading as they are both 8ohms and 89db.
The most drivers (except AMTs, piezos, foils, ribbons ie) got a big impedance peak at the fs, if you want to xo it low, you have to deal with that peak because it interacts with the crossover. At the fs you'll likely have a peak of ~40 Ohm, rapidly dropping above and below. Without impedance compensation your frequency response will go onto a roller coaster. 400 Hz is much less critical but that doesn't make use of the biggest advantages the Monacor 175HQ and just taking the disadvantages. Not a good deal IMO.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenoholic Anonymus View Post
I used it long time ago, believe it was in a subwoofer. Only remember i was dissapointed... I do like Dayton drivers. For example the Dayton DCS 205-4 is superb for subwoofer use. This one not so much.
Well, the Dayton DS215-8 is not a subwoofer, it's a relatively cheap woofer. Good for a 3-way speaker.

The Dayton DCS 205-4 is indeed a good choice for a subwoofer but not for a 3-way speaker, it will result in only ~80dB/1W spl, which is very low. For a subwoofer this does not matter much but for a full range speaker it's not very desireable.
Old 12th April 2019, 07:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

[ATTACH]Monacor 175HQ.png[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
No, that won't work. The Monacor is good but only up to 2k and it will narrow the dispersion very much at 4k and the tweeter will go wide again. Very bad combination. If you want to go for 4k upper XO, use a 3" midrange, not 6"1/2.

Most tweeters can be crossed over much lower though, which one do you plan to use?

The most drivers (except AMTs, piezos, foils, ribbons ie) got a big impedance peak at the fs, if you want to xo it low, you have to deal with that peak because it interacts with the crossover. At the fs you'll likely have a peak of ~40 Ohm, rapidly dropping above and below. Without impedance compensation your frequency response will go onto a roller coaster. 400 Hz is much less critical but that doesn't make use of the biggest advantages the Monacor 175HQ and just taking the disadvantages. Not a good deal IMO.
I thought it was good to 4k but your absolutely right as my measurements indicate. A 2-2.5k crossover would be needed. I did have it in a test box (17L) with a Monacor 104/8 crossed over at 2.4k. It sounded really nice but just didn't go low enough, something was missing. I have a rising impedance in the woofer up to 30ohms at 2k. I have an SB acoustics SB29RDC which has an FS of 600hz. Crossed over, just above the 2k region may be ok?? I think your point is, look for another mid range not a woofer. My only issue is to get the most out of the Monacor 175HQ you need a big box. May have to rethink.

Dayton Audio DS215-8Hide this!Advertise here!