Dayton Audio DS215-8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The Dayton looks solid, IMO a good choice for a 3-way bass driver. I'm a bit puzzled about the Monacor 175HQ as midrange since it's capable of reproducing bass quite well too, it's around the same dynamics (bit lower) as the dayton. Even sealed it adds ~14l to the enclosure. To cross them over low you'd probably need an impedance compensation (which is expensive) if you go passive. A Visaton B80, B100 or a Monacor MSH-115, MSH-115HQ4 (or something similar) would probably be a better fit?

Thanks for the input. I have considered the Monacor for bass duties but it requires a big enclosure (38L). Your right 14L for midrange is a lot but the Monacor is flat to 4k so crosses ok with most tweeters. WINISD says I can get the Dayton Audio to work in a 19L enclosure to 48hz. I should be able to get away with a smaller enclosure and that's the main reason.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Thanks for the input. I have considered the Monacor for bass duties but it requires a big enclosure (38L). Your right 14L for midrange is a lot but the Monacor is flat to 4k so crosses ok with most tweeters.

No, that won't work. The Monacor is good but only up to 2k and it will narrow the dispersion very much at 4k and the tweeter will go wide again. Very bad combination. If you want to go for 4k upper XO, use a 3" midrange, not 6"1/2.

Most tweeters can be crossed over much lower though, which one do you plan to use?

Looking at a 400hz crossover. Not sure what you mean by inpedence compensation though I will do some reading as they are both 8ohms and 89db.

The most drivers (except AMTs, piezos, foils, ribbons ie) got a big impedance peak at the fs, if you want to xo it low, you have to deal with that peak because it interacts with the crossover. At the fs you'll likely have a peak of ~40 Ohm, rapidly dropping above and below. Without impedance compensation your frequency response will go onto a roller coaster. 400 Hz is much less critical but that doesn't make use of the biggest advantages the Monacor 175HQ and just taking the disadvantages. Not a good deal IMO.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I used it long time ago, believe it was in a subwoofer. Only remember i was dissapointed... I do like Dayton drivers. For example the Dayton DCS 205-4 is superb for subwoofer use. This one not so much.

Well, the Dayton DS215-8 is not a subwoofer, it's a relatively cheap woofer. Good for a 3-way speaker.

The Dayton DCS 205-4 is indeed a good choice for a subwoofer but not for a 3-way speaker, it will result in only ~80dB/1W spl, which is very low. For a subwoofer this does not matter much but for a full range speaker it's not very desireable.

[/ATTACH]
No, that won't work. The Monacor is good but only up to 2k and it will narrow the dispersion very much at 4k and the tweeter will go wide again. Very bad combination. If you want to go for 4k upper XO, use a 3" midrange, not 6"1/2.

Most tweeters can be crossed over much lower though, which one do you plan to use?

The most drivers (except AMTs, piezos, foils, ribbons ie) got a big impedance peak at the fs, if you want to xo it low, you have to deal with that peak because it interacts with the crossover. At the fs you'll likely have a peak of ~40 Ohm, rapidly dropping above and below. Without impedance compensation your frequency response will go onto a roller coaster. 400 Hz is much less critical but that doesn't make use of the biggest advantages the Monacor 175HQ and just taking the disadvantages. Not a good deal IMO.

I thought it was good to 4k but your absolutely right as my measurements indicate. A 2-2.5k crossover would be needed. I did have it in a test box (17L) with a Monacor 104/8 crossed over at 2.4k. It sounded really nice but just didn't go low enough, something was missing. I have a rising impedance in the woofer up to 30ohms at 2k. I have an SB acoustics SB29RDC which has an FS of 600hz. Crossed over, just above the 2k region may be ok?? I think your point is, look for another mid range not a woofer. My only issue is to get the most out of the Monacor 175HQ you need a big box. May have to rethink.

5.5 mm x-max for the DS-215, there was a time such x-max was spectacular ;) for woofers, especially for the price. Anyhoo, if the DS215-8 is supposed to do the bass in a 3-way. I would choose another driver.

For example Sica 8H1CS, cheaper and better performer in my ears. I don't know if the TS is in US or EU. If he is in the EU, the Sica would be 1/3 of the price of the Dayton.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
[/ATTACH]

I thought it was good to 4k but your absolutely right as my measurements indicate. A 2-2.5k crossover would be needed. I did have it in a test box (17L) with a Monacor 104/8 crossed over at 2.4k. It sounded really nice but just didn't go low enough, something was missing. I have a rising impedance in the woofer up to 30ohms at 2k.

[...]

I think your point is, look for another mid range not a woofer. My only issue is to get the most out of the Monacor 175HQ you need a big box. May have to rethink.

The Monacor can go quite deep, f3 34Hz in ~40l or f3 38Hz in 30l BR. That doesn't sound too big to me. It would work in 24l tuned deep aswell, f3 @ 45Hz and very slow roll-off (f8@ 32Hz).
If you go for the Dayton DS215-8 in the bass, you'd get 43Hz in 23l. But if you'd add the Monacor, that's then an additional 14l which will result in a box of 37l, which is practically the same but will cost you around 3x that much because of the drivers and the crossover parts.

Do you already have the drivers?

I would suggest either use a much smaller 3-4" midrange or a wide band (the Visaton B80 is very good) or go for a 2-way with the Monacor 175HQ.

I have an SB acoustics SB29RDC which has an FS of 600hz. Crossed over, just above the 2k region may be ok??

I've looked at the datasheet, they should be able to do 2k or lower, they got a big membrane surface and very low fs. I think I've read a test and some threads about the tweeter here in the forum but I'm not that sure, I keep confusing the SB tweeters with each other because I can't memorize the naming pattern.

The Monacor can go quite deep, f3 34Hz in ~40l or f3 38Hz in 30l BR. That doesn't sound too big to me. It would work in 24l tuned deep aswell, f3 @ 45Hz and very slow roll-off (f8@ 32Hz).

If you go for the Dayton DS215-8 in the bass, you'd get 43Hz in 23l. But if you'd add the Monacor, that's then an additional 14l which will result in a box of 37l, which is practically the same but will cost you around 3x that much because of the drivers and the crossover parts.

Do you already have the drivers?

I would suggest either use a much smaller 3-4" midrange or a wide band (the Visaton B80 is very good) or go for a 2-way with the Monacor 175HQ.

I've looked at the datasheet, they should be able to do 2k or lower, they got a big membrane surface and very low fs. I think I've read a test and some threads about the tweeter here in the forum but I'm not that sure, I keep confusing the SB tweeters with each other because I can't memorize the naming pattern.
Yeah. I just put the Monacor into Winisd and got the same. I think a 30L enclosure would be nice. I have already got the Monacor 175 and the SB acoustics SB29 tweeters. Just playing with port size and trying to reduce xmax at max power in WINISD. I think the help/feedback has helped a lot, I will look at mid range drivers which should tie the two together. Would be looking at 89db to avoid attenuation of woofer/mid I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.