Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

HF1440 New Ring Compression Driver from Faital Pro.
HF1440 New Ring Compression Driver from Faital Pro.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2019, 04:24 AM   #11
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Not that I know of, though this one was only on my "radar" because of AudioXpress..

New FaitalPro HF1440 Compression Driver Extends Frequency Response and Power in a Compact Format | audioXpress
Old 14th April 2019, 06:24 AM   #12
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

There was mention of one in developement a few years ago on this forum. I doubt it would be better than B&C.
Old 18th April 2019, 07:10 AM   #13
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
In the case of the Axi2050 vs. 950PB-Be, you have a 5" ring radiator with 1mm xmax against a 4" dome with maybe 0.25mm clearance. If I remember correctly, the entire ring isn't contributing to the high frequency output like a dome is.

I would imagine this would be detrimental to high frequency clarity at higher volumes compared to the large 4" be dome (when crossed in the dome's comfort range). The ring will have much more output down low but maybe at a cost to high frequency dynamics and detail.
Should not the opposite be true, specially because of the special structure of the Axi's ring membrane? In any case, the whole dome is not contributing to the high frequency output either: such a big dome will stop being pistonic quite soon already, and then it's basically a big pile of resonances. The ring however has the advantage that the center to side length is always short, and then the Axi also has the special membrane shape that helps it control resonances much better. Both should help high frequency performance. I don't think even the Beryllium would help overcome the shortcomming of the big dome in the end.

Nevertheless, the devil is always in the details. There might be more to it than just these observations.
Old 18th April 2019, 07:32 AM   #14
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
-generally I'm not fond of ring-types at freq.s nearing their resonance
Maybe this has a phase plug that gives a planar wavefront?

What I'd like to know is does it perform well at 10kHz, and they say down to 700Hz so could it be used to 350Hz in a domestic situation.

A CD that covers all frequencies at and above the Schroeder Frequency would be very interesting.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:31 PM   #15
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4real View Post
Should not the opposite be true, specially because of the special structure of the Axi's ring membrane? In any case, the whole dome is not contributing to the high frequency output either: such a big dome will stop being pistonic quite soon already, and then it's basically a big pile of resonances. The ring however has the advantage that the center to side length is always short, and then the Axi also has the special membrane shape that helps it control resonances much better. Both should help high frequency performance. I don't think even the Beryllium would help overcome the shortcomming of the big dome in the end.

Nevertheless, the devil is always in the details. There might be more to it than just these observations.
The 4" Beryllium dome is pistonic out to 20khz. I'm not sure I would be able to hear a difference between them. $2,500 to find out doesn't sound too fun.
Old 18th April 2019, 04:15 PM   #16
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Maybe this has a phase plug that gives a planar wavefront?

What I'd like to know is does it perform well at 10kHz, and they say down to 700Hz so could it be used to 350Hz in a domestic situation.

..on-axis it looks good, and while it does have a phasing plug: my guess is that off -axis it's *not to good.

The basic design doesn't look that different than the BMS 4594 midrange.

*of course this depends on the horn as well, for IF it's a particularly directive design at higher freq.s like perhaps a Le Cleach profile, then I doubt the result is bad.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:20 PM   #17
Patrick Bateman is online now Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
FaitalPRO | HF Drivers | HF1440

-generally I'm not fond of ring-types at freq.s nearing their resonance. I find they are often lacking in the depth perspective.

Still, other than the pain-in-the-@ss Impedance - it's a nice looking driver, with excellent high-freq. extension for a 1.4" exit driver. Flux density is particularly high: should be very detailed (subjectively) as a result.

Might make for an excellent 1st order driver after correction (near 1.8-2 kHz). Of course this would require a horn loaded midrange, and both horns would need to be angled for a good integration window (vertically).
The ring radiators from BMS, Eminence and B&C have a reflector in their design:

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a cutaway of the dual diaphragm D2430K from JBL, but the single-diaphragm models work the same way.

I'm really torn on this one, because the ring radiators measure really well, but I'm just naturally a bit wary of reflectors. And this is coming from someone who's basically spent the better part of the last decade building high frequency reflectors lol!

Square Pegs

Cloning a $3200 Speaker for $400

I have been able to make reflectors that actually outperform a design with a straight throat. But when you mess around with ABEC or Hornresp, you can see that a fraction of the energy is going to get reflected back down the throat.

Is it audible? Maybe.

Is it measurable? Probably, but it's extremely hard to quantify.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:22 PM   #18
Patrick Bateman is online now Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

To me, it's hilarious that the ring radiator floodgates just opened up, now that the patent expired. Really demonstrates that a lot of manufacturers saw merit in the design, but were holding off on releasing them. Odd that Eminence jumped the gun (they released theirs over a year ago.)

The patent expired last month, IIRC.

HF1440 New Ring Compression Driver from Faital Pro.Hide this!Advertise here!