Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Tweeter match help
Tweeter match help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2019, 01:18 PM   #1
kingfisher is offline kingfisher  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter match help

I've purchased a pr. Vintage JBL 2205B speakers and would like the community input on hi-freq. matching. The ESS
tweeters look promising, but seems there may be a slight dip in near 2k as the ESS struggles with their own 10" match up (taken from forum chatter here and elsewhere) I will be installing the JBLs in an Onken enclosure but am at loggerheads with tweeter... Horns, maybe? All options are open as to enclosures also. Original for these were 1 &2 woofers per vented box with a horn driver... if my understanding is correct.
Kingfisher
Old 10th April 2019, 02:02 AM   #2
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you use a waveguide on a compression tweeter, you can cross near 1kHz. This is a good solution in my opinion.

If you use a dome you would have to cross lower, but this is not easy and you will need a midrange.
Old 11th April 2019, 02:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks AllenB for your input. If I go the route of adding a midrange I have an LCY tweet, but I also have a AudioNirvana Super8 I could use for midrange duty. Was going to save for special project, and this may be its calling! I also know of a Realistic super Tweeter pr. Your thought?
Old 11th April 2019, 04:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Full range drivers have their strengths. That said, I suspect that 2-4kHz may be the most challenging region for an 8" driver, probably right where you want to use it.
Old 10th December 2019, 03:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, AllenB I pulled the response graph for the Super 8 Audio Nervana from the internet. The 750Hz out to 4k Hz is where I'd like to use this super8. It is a bit jagged at 35k - 36k, but the use of a LCR may tame the raise and extend out to near 4k by leveling it out a bit. I will be purchasing a slot super tweeter to takeover past 25K. I reviewed my other posts on the Heil AMT and thought hard about the (baffle step), but feel in all honesty it is not the 96db rating it claims. more like 92 and that is far short in this match of woofer/midrange.
Old 10th December 2019, 04:28 AM   #6
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Frequenzgang - Seite 4

low-pass around 1.7 kHz.

"midrange" to accompany the JBL:

Beyma Liberty 12" Guitar Speakers - Beyma Liberty 12" guitar speaker - Beyma Liberty 300 watt 12" guitar speaker for all high quality guitar applications. Beyma Liberty and other Beyma 12" speakers here.
Old 10th December 2019, 05:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
It is a bit jagged
Yes it's breaking up, there may be more going on than just a few peaks.

Tweeter match helpHide this!Advertise here!