KEF 104 B200 SP1039 driver substitutes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I have a pair of KEF 104 speakers which I picked up cheaply. One was sold as not working; its B200 driver has a bad rasp to it at any significant volume. I’ve tried rotating the driver to see if it a sag issue, but it doesn’t seem to have fixed it. Putting some sine waves into the other B200 seems to suggest that it also has some issues.

I was hoping to get the speakers operating again and wondered if replacement of the B200s with Dayton RS225P drivers would work well (as used in the thread below). If I did this I would retain the original tweeters and be redoing the crossover based on specs, as I have no measuring equipment. I’d be interested to know if people think what I am thinking of could work, or if there are other drivers I could use that might be better suited to what I am proposing. Or indeed if I’d be better taking another course. To put this into context I am a beginner to this and my knowledge of TSP and the like is very limited!

Thanks for any help

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/327196-kef-104ab-rebuild-minidsp-dayton-drivers-2.html

Thanks for the responses.

Falcon said they could supply a Monacor that is “vaguely” similar but they wouldn’t recommend it “it wouldn’t be great”. I asked if redoing the crossover could help and they suggested my efforts would be wasted. They suggested waiting for a pair of SP1039 to become available second hand.

Wilmslow Audio said they would recommend the Monacor SPH210, which is listed on their site as a drop in for KEF B200. I queried this because there are different versions of the KEF B200 (big magnet vs small magnet etc) and I wondered how one driver could slot in for all of them. They said it would be okay and it had quite a big magnet. Not convinced by the technical thoroughness of that argument particularly given Falcons assessment!

Further experiences / thoughts most welcome. Thanks.

They are a buy it now at £160 not starting bid, I would offer 20% less under a "Make offer" and haggle up from there (think you have 3 goes to get a deal before you are locked out until it is either sold or re-listed), may be a little more off if they have been on there a while, say £120 ???

Looking in the completed listing singles seem to go for £50+and pairs from £100 so a best offer just above this with a note of justification may get you where you need to be.

But, my usual basis for going under a best offer is to have a final price in mind and be prepared to walk away if you can't reach a deal. I use the same process for bidding, decide on what I am willing to pay and then bid this with a few second remaining. Not everyone's process but works for me.

This is what I would do but it is up to you to decide for yourself.

Thanks again for the replies. I can't bring myself to spend £100+ on decades old drivers from ebay; I can just see them going the same way as the current ones in not too long.

I have been considering ditching all of the current drivers and starting again with an existing design, basically just reusing the cabinets, which are 35 litres. I could blank off the passive radiators to give a standard sealed enclosure, and I could add a port. I could make a new baffle and glue it over the existing one to enable me to use a different size woofer and tweeter. I would consider converting to a single full range driver. Basically, I am open to anything to get these speakers working reasonably well, but ideally without going much over £100. Most of the time they'll be used for light duties and a mixture of music, but it would be good if they could also rock for a party in July...

I've been going round in circles looking for existing 8" 2-way designs suitable for a 35 litre enclosure, but struggling to find anything in my meagre budget...any ideas much appreciated. Thanks

The 104 is a very good performer. Right now on ebay I can see three listings for SP1039 drivers and the prices are ~ $75 per unit.

I understand your reluctance to get old drivers but in general, the KEF rubber surround drivers fare well over time. The SP1039 is a notable exception and many units suffered from surround shrinkage which is very visible.

I would not hesitate to get a used one if they looked OK. In fact I have done just that and renewed the drivers on my R104 and they function great.

It's your money and your choice but bear in mind that these are classic speakers, in the league of the AR3 imho, so it's really worth keeping them alive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.