Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Your preferred way to add a sub-woofer(s)?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2019, 05:51 AM   #1
DualTriode is online now DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Your preferred way to add a sub-woofer(s)?

Hello All,

What is your preferred way to add a sub-woofer(s)?

I am putting together a stereo system that will not always use a sub-woofer, you know late at night or your wife is reading downstairs kind of thing. Or you are listening to program material that has no Low Frequency Effects. But when you do, you want to kick it up to 11.

I am thinking of speakers without added sub-woofers with an f3 of 40Hz. For most program material they will work just fine without the added benefit of sub-woofers. Just saying, maybe JBL 2226s, reflex enclosures with 5 ft3 volume tuned to 40Hz. (From the factory data sheet.)

I know some folks have a preference for sealed woofers. Is there a benefit in using sealed woofers when a sub-woofer will be switched in or out?

What kind of trouble will there be in terms of phase and, group delay or other issues if a sub-woofer(s) down to 20Hz is added?

Just trying to stir up a discussion!

Thanks DT
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:59 AM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualTriode View Post
I know some folks have a preference for sealed woofers. Is there a benefit in using sealed woofers when a sub-woofer will be switched in or out?
Text book says that Butterworth type is for sealed. Good integration at crossover happens at -6 dB so it's good to have both. Phase would show that the superimposed sub would rule till, say, 50 Hz, dunno, never played with subs
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Bill Coltrane is offline Bill Coltrane  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have ao the Linkwitz Pluto 2 plus subs.

These are closed speakers and subs, with eq to get a flat frequency responce. The Pluto on its own has a free air f-3dB at 40Hz. With sub they are crossed over at 100Hz. At low levels and normal music I don't hear much difference with or without subs. Integration seems good with this system.
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:11 AM   #4
chebum is offline chebum  Poland
diyAudio Member

Multiple subwoofers iron bass notes. For example, on the picture above the right channel gives good bass response with all notes sounding loud from 25Hz and up. Speaker/sub on the left side have a broad depression between 40 and 80. On music with stereo signal below 100Hz you can feel more energy is coming from the right side.
I downmix to mono sounds below 100Hz to obtain a smoother bass response. With separate subs you can place them where they give the smoothest bass response. Sometimes, inverting one sub's polarity improves bass sound even further.
Multiple subs may not sound louder than one.
So, adding several subs will not make the sound boomy and loud. You'd rather get smoother bass. You will need a good DSP to integrate them.IMG_20190403_085300.jpeg
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:53 AM   #5
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Due to very varying sound quality on music recordings i find it very difficult to get a system response that worked flawless with subs, it was a constant job of setting the low freq level, many in the music business seems not to have a clue how to make good recordings and how to set levels correctly! i got thick of it all and removed the subs. For music i think subs causes just to much pain, woofers that does not dig as deep is better for overall sound quality, and they should be used as high as possible in frequency.
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:12 AM   #6
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

2 x 18 dipole subs flanking my listening chair on either side of my feet pointing up at my chest. Great for late night listening due to directivity and bass down to 30hz that is tactile
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:41 PM   #7
chebum is offline chebum  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
Due to very varying sound quality on music recordings i find it very difficult to get a system response that worked flawless with subs, it was a constant job of setting the low freq level, many in the music business seems not to have a clue how to make good recordings and how to set levels correctly!.
I believe, you should let us know how many subs you had, how were they crossed, processed and what kind of music you listen to. Without these details, your statement "subs are bad for music" is useless.
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:03 PM   #8
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

i had four subs, i mostly listen to jazz, fusion, death metal, and djent. active crossovers. If you have not encounter any level problems with subs and music i wonder if you listen to music at all!? I can tell you, many recordings seems not to go thru any sound quality control at all, and this is a major problem. I wish the music recording business had some of the quality control that movie business has. But home recordings seems to take us further and further away from that target
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

To prevent the subs canceling each other: put the subs close to each other.

Just like driver spacing with drivers in a single box; the rule is <1/4 or >2 wavelengths from each other and half of that for distances to walls.
Unless the room is really big, the subs are in the corner and at nearby walls. You can stack them if you like and they are fed a mono signal. Sealed has the best SQ and roomgain from the corner will compensate for the roll off on the lower end. A flat sub will sound boomy (to much very lows) due to the room gain.
Your neighbors will also like these tips as you get more effective/efficient bass in your room.

IMO subs under the man speakers is often about as bad as it can be for the bass; probably the most made mistake. Bass has a hear and a feel; good/whole/tight bass does make me feel I wanna move/dance.
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Speedysteve7 is offline Speedysteve7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hehe

Screenshot_20190403-154438_crop_699x1043.jpg

X 2 or X 4

Your preferred way to add a sub-woofer(s)?Hide this!Advertise here!