Troubleshooting / Repairing B&W CM4 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
\

If there's no sign of burning, then attempting to move the rear plate with a sideways blow from a rubber mallet might just re-align the assembly.

I haven't disassembled anything, but at least prior to taking anything apart there are no signs of burning. This rubber mallet approach sounds about in line with my skill level, so I will give that a go when I get a chance.

Thanks again for all the advice and insight.

Check the spider for any signs of burning due to an overheated voice coil. If visible you will almost certainly require re-voice coiling.

On second thought maybe I don't know what burning looks like - I took a photo with my phone and it looks different than when I looked with my naked possibly bad eye. I've attached it here - is this burning?

Attachments

• IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 51
Is it just a trick of the camera, or is the black voice coil former tilted to the right (i.e. not truly vertical)?

That would be consistent with a slipped magnet and would indicate in which direction to thump the rear plate.

Just clutching at straws here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.