Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

How to kick the speaker building blues?
How to kick the speaker building blues?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2019, 04:07 AM   #1
studiophone is offline studiophone  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How to kick the speaker building blues?

It’s not my project. I blew an amp doing a xo experiment 3 months ago and I have a long repair time. I think it was a series of events not just the amp that’s got me at a stand still. I have a backup amp. I just can’t seem to right now. Strange because I was getting to the good stuff. Anyone here get thru the speaker building blues? How?
Old 27th March 2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

First practice your passive filter networks in a simulator, then when everything looks benign, hook it up. The objective is to have acceptable impedance profile and FR. Amplifier should also have some kind of short circuit protection, at least a fast acting 2A fuse in series with amp output before speaker terminal.
Old 27th March 2019, 08:28 AM   #3
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm having the blues at the moment, too. The speakers I normally use (Behringer B3030A, modified) aren't doing the magic for me, and if I'm honest, they never really did.

We're in the process of re-modelling the AV equipment in the lounge, and I need to find something better.

It's difficult, though, to know where to begin. Back to full-range drivers? A better studio monitor design? 2-way, 3-way? Subs? Etc etc etc.

I have a few bits here and have tried them as the main stereo, but nothing really sticks...

Chris
Old 27th March 2019, 09:28 AM   #4
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Try a 15” woofer with a big horn &)
Old 27th March 2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tell the Boss you are tired of building speakers and have decided to buy a new BMW motorcycle, then report back
Old 27th March 2019, 12:49 PM   #6
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

You have two choices.... get on with it or give it away.

A while back I thought if I saw any more saw dust I would spew as I was running on autopilot building. That was about a dozen speakers ago as there were still ideas running though the brain as well as some drivers I wanted to try.

The worse part of any job is starting or restarting.
Old 27th March 2019, 05:17 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I'm having the blues at the moment, too. The speakers I normally use (Behringer B3030A, modified) aren't doing the magic for me, and if I'm honest, they never really did.

We're in the process of re-modelling the AV equipment in the lounge, and I need to find something better.

It's difficult, though, to know where to begin. Back to full-range drivers? A better studio monitor design? 2-way, 3-way? Subs? Etc etc etc.

I have a few bits here and have tried them as the main stereo, but nothing really sticks...

Chris
Stereo subs with JBL LSR 305s can be very satisfying.
Old 27th March 2019, 06:56 PM   #8
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Stereo subs ?

How about stereo woofers ?

I find a lack of room penetrating bass under 200hz a deal breaker to me, especially for smaller drivers.
Pick the monitors off the floor, even less bass.
What is rock without a bass guitar? No foundation.

I'm thinking something like the (now gone) diysoundgroup tempest but change the woofer's crossover for dual delta pro 12a in series. Dual 12 for midbass slam, the tweet is closer to ear level, and no floor bounce killing the bass. But i love current passive setup and its horn.

Listen nearfield maybe.
Hang in there, rearrange, or it may be the day.
Our music enjoyment of the system can vary based on your mood, even if you don't feel off.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 27th March 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 27th March 2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiophone View Post
Anyone here get thru the speaker building blues?
Oh, you poor dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiophone View Post
How?
HT*U and get on with it.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:29 PM   #10
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

have a break, prioirtise one of your other interests for a while, come back to speakers when you're in the mood....

How to kick the speaker building blues?Hide this!Advertise here!