Crossover/Coils placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It can be done on ceiling , but those wax coils are heavy, I'm not feeling safe doing it.
I think to make external crossover box..I already have WBT entry level binding post, 4 more pairs costs like a woofer. The Jantzen/PE binding post should be nice option..
Not ideal for my small room..but I think it safer option than mounting it near the drivers.

Thanks

If you can place them on a board towards the rear of the enclosure and eliminate some space between, you'll likely be okay. If you place the large one flat, and the others as they would roll on top of it at a right angle to each other, then you can likely save some space. I have it pictured as the bottom being the back of your enclosure. I would both use zip-ties and adhesive for those big suckers.

If you still decide to go outboard for xovers, then I recommend using a set of 4-pole SpeakOns as interconnects. This will make sure your xovers are always hooked up correctly. You can have your WBT ins on the xover case, and then SpeakOn the rest cabinet to case.

Later,
Wolf

Attachments

• coils.png
    coils.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 177
The first photo is like I have them placed in my quick image. That is the best way of the 3.

I'm not sure Gorilla Glue will work best, but it should hold strong. I tend to prefer GOOP or E6000 for xovers. They are a softer glue that won't break apart in high impact situations, and with a bit of effort, you can undo their glue bond if ever the need arises.

Later,
Wolf

When I placed it like the last post inside the cabinet they touch each other.

Touching each other is not a problem. Inductively coupling them through their magnetic fields during operation is.

If you feel what you have is the best in your mind, don't let me stop you, but I would have them touch if that is what it takes to get them as I drew them.
I've had coils with the insulated copper touching save for a piece of tape, and in the position as I recommended, without issues.

Later,
Wolf

I didn't realize its preferred the coils would touch each other than a bad position.
Anyway, I tried to place it when they touch each other, and they touches the WALLS of the cabinet too.
Another try:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
I guess if does not looks promise I would have to think about external crossover, even that I don't really want (more space, time, money, parts).

Best,
Itamar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.