B&C DCX464

I guess BC is letting us 'home hifi' guys figure it out on our own. Kind of makes sense since most of these drivers will be used in the pro gear world actively crossed over with DSP etc. No passive crossovers in that world. We are just too small of a market:( The horns I am playing with run down to about 500hz to 300hz. I guess you can pick your flavor of 'horn'. There are a bunch of them out there!!

I have not gotten them yet but once again they are not meant for us 'hi-fi' guys, which makes sense. We are not their market. Here is what Joseph Crow wrote to me. They are meant for Pro Sound applications which means they don't have any contour filters to flatten the frequency response. That is typically left to the DSP unit which is always part of a pro sound setup. The B&C crossover won't have the boost in the upper treble for example. Joseph however is very impressed with them when modified for home use. With that being said I am always in to tinkering around...so having a couple of horns and x-overs along with DSP it will be fun!

yeah thought the same, looks terrible but maybe not so unexpected.

Hopefully someone release a "hifi/home" version of passive crossover. I not completely unfamiliar with designing crossover but short on time and parts at the moment. Would have been great to have a "working crossover" if I decided to order the coax and horn :)

time will tell.

In response to the passive crossover-

Some people (even for hifi) might use the B&C components that were designed for each other, and just use DSP for frequency response correction only.

The literature on the crossover suggests that it was designed to make the high and low frequency rings stay in phase with each other, and to protect them (high pass) from low frequencies. Also very high limit protection so they won’t fry.
All good things.

Yes you could do all this with DSP, or build a passive crossover, but it can be easier for some folks to use B&C’s crossover and then just DSP to taste…