B&C DCX464

Hi, a pair of questions, if I may:

-this coax CD have some shorting ring? the datasheet say nothing about it

-there is some horn (from B&C or other brand) that on pair with DCX464 can produce a similar curve like that one showed on the datasheet? Even a curve that roll on around 7-800Hz might be ok...

thanks in advance (..and sorry for my bad english :/)

• this coax CD have some shorting ring? the datasheet say nothing about it
  • there is some horn (from B&C or other brand) that on pair with DCX464 can produce a similar curve like that one showed on the datasheet? Even a curve that roll on around 7-800Hz might be ok...

Hey Alessandro,

The coax uses a copper cap on the HF section only, we found no benefit to using any shorting device on the MF section. Regarding the horn, I am unaware of any off the shelf horn that can go to 300Hz. We use two large horns in testing and measurement at B&C, the one used for the data sheet is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 696
  • 2019 03 Suggested DCX464 test horn.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 233
Hey Alessandro,

The coax uses a copper cap on the HF section only, we found no benefit to using any shorting device on the MF section.

B&C needs a more aggressive and more powerful marketing team.... for speaker motors, a copper cap is GOLDEN BABY!

I remember in the "Mad Men" TV series the marketing team was able to sell cigarettes by using the phrase "It's toasted" to describe the tobacco

Personally, I now think less of the DCX464 sound quality. Go figure.

I've built plenty of 2-ways and 3-ways without a copper cap or shorting ring on the midrange, because it wasn't worth the expense.

For instance, if I'm crossing over from a smaller midrange to a tweeter, I don't need a shorting ring because I'm just not playing the midrange very high.

I imagine B&C used a similar decision process in their design.

If you're trying to get a 12" or a 15" to play up to 2khz, it makes sense, but for a 5" or a 6", it's less compelling.

If you're trying to get a 12" or a 15" to play up to 2khz, it makes sense, but for a 5" or a 6", it's less compelling.

And even here it is not the diameter of the driver itself that makes the difference regarding the shorting ring - it is the diameter of the voice-coil (which is usually larger on larger drivers) that results in a higher voice-coil inductance.

Regards

Charles

B&C needs a more aggressive and more powerful marketing team.... for speaker motors, a copper cap is GOLDEN BABY!

I remember in the "Mad Men" TV series the marketing team was able to sell cigarettes by using the phrase "It's toasted" to describe the tobacco

Personally, I now think less of the DCX464 sound quality. Go figure.

Sorry, this mean better quality or worse? Cant get what you mean in your last line.
Thanks

I've built plenty of 2-ways and 3-ways without a copper cap or shorting ring on the midrange, because it wasn't worth the expense.

For instance, if I'm crossing over from a smaller midrange to a tweeter, I don't need a shorting ring because I'm just not playing the midrange very high.

I imagine B&C used a similar decision process in their design.

And to expand on this, a neo magnet will inherently have lower inductance than a ferrite magnet system. A copper cap simply may not be needed in the application.

I was just refering to the question that was posed in a little strange way. The maxuimum power allowed will be the same , wheter used in a low power application or in a high power application. ;)

If there is no derating information for a desired frequency then you could calculate the DC power needed in order to reach X-max and then you are definitley on the safe side.

Edit: I was just checking the datasheet. Unfortunatley they don't mention compliance, x-max and BL factor in the data sheet which would allow a coarse estimation of what I mentioned.

Regards

Charles

Last edited: