B&C DCX464

This was to be expected as well, despite the less than stellar response.

I wonder how the DCX would perform behind a low Fc horn.

Mark100, do you happen to have a single diaphragm driver (preferably a FaitalPro ;)) at hand for comparison?

The two CDs I've been comparing are all I have ...
Sure wish I had a good single diaphragm FaitalPro...
What's a 1.4" consensus fav?

Maybe its diyaudio bread and butter but whats the measurements? (Software hardware i mean) you use active here?

I'm 1000% dsp active. And FIR active at that.
Honestly, I find even regular IIR dsp active very difficult compared to FIR.
And hat's off to folks who can build and tune with passive components...incredibly difficult imo.

Anyway, measurement software is SmaartLive and REW, with Smaart being far easier for speaker development, as it allows real time transfer functions and is reference signal independent (you can make mag and phase meas with music as the reference signal).
FIR filters are made with FirDesigner.
Hardware is QSC's Q-SYS for speaker processing, and various QSC amps for different DIY builds/needs.
Q-SYS is absolutely awesome for speaker processing and making comparative evaluations. You can build any form of processor you want.
I've been lucky to have purchased Smaart and FirDesigner when they were beginning products, I'm not sure i could afford them now. Just sayin REW works ;)
Q-SYS's Core110f is perfect for home and occasionally sells on ebay for under $1000. I got one for $750. Could not recommend any DSP that I know of any higher, at virtually any cost !!
It is as big a leap over a fixed dsp hardware, as a fixed dsp hardware is over passive...... ime/imo.

Consensus among audio aficionados is rare as hen's teeth ;)

There are a few large format favorites:
- Radian 950PB
- JBL 2450SL (1.5")
- RCF ND950 1.4
- 18Sound 4015 series.

Some folks prefer a 3" diaphram, plenty of drivers available. The FaitalPROs are popular for HiFi applications, but also rising stars in the PA industry (Danley ao.).
Alternatives: RCF ND850 (Mylar suspension), Celestion CDX14-3040, Beyma CP755Ti or Nd, Radian 745PB and some B&Cs

Personally, I am looking forward to this driver (soon available):

Attachments

• HF1440_datasheet_8.jpg
    HF1440_datasheet_8.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 1,013
Last edited:
Consensus among audio aficionados is rare as hen's teeth ;)

There are a few large format favorites:
- Radian 950PB
- JBL 2450SL (1.5")
- RCF ND950 1.4
- 18Sound 4015 series.

Some folks prefer a 3" diaphram, plenty of drivers available. The FaitalPROs are popular for HiFi applications, but also rising stars in the PA industry (Danley ao.)

Personally, I am looking forward to this driver (soon available):

Hi,

of course i am looking forward to Faital's 1440 too? Any news?
I really like the Radian 905PB as well.

RCF ND950? Why?

KR Barossi

Because the midrange is very good. Breakup is pretty intense, but no worse than some 3" drivers.
The ND850 is better on top, but not as good as the Faitals.

2nd plot is the raw response of a ND950 2.0 on a JABO-72.

Attachments

• mereni_RCF_ND950+ME90_Pagina_1.jpg
    mereni_RCF_ND950+ME90_Pagina_1.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 963
  • ND950-2.0_JH72_SPL_axis.jpg
    ND950-2.0_JH72_SPL_axis.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 965
Last edited:
I'm 1000% dsp active. And FIR active at that.
Honestly, I find even regular IIR dsp active very difficult compared to FIR.
And hat's off to folks who can build and tune with passive components...incredibly difficult imo.

Anyway, measurement software is SmaartLive and REW, with Smaart being far easier for speaker development, as it allows real time transfer functions and is reference signal independent (you can make mag and phase meas with music as the reference signal).
FIR filters are made with FirDesigner.
Hardware is QSC's Q-SYS for speaker processing, and various QSC amps for different DIY builds/needs.
Q-SYS is absolutely awesome for speaker processing and making comparative evaluations. You can build any form of processor you want.
I've been lucky to have purchased Smaart and FirDesigner when they were beginning products, I'm not sure i could afford them now. Just sayin REW works ;)
Q-SYS's Core110f is perfect for home and occasionally sells on ebay for under $1000. I got one for $750. Could not recommend any DSP that I know of any higher, at virtually any cost !!
It is as big a leap over a fixed dsp hardware, as a fixed dsp hardware is over passive...... ime/imo.

how was the week with them??

My woofers arriving mid Sept and Im back home next week so Im looking to go for them (or the 4594HE was my pre-464 option)

how was the week with them??

My woofers arriving mid Sept and Im back home next week so Im looking to go for them (or the 4594HE was my pre-464 option)

I've been all wrapped up with a synergy project, so not much time comparing them (dcx464 vs 4594he), in any kind of fair meaningful way.

But I have been using the dcx on the synergy projects, and I briefly tried it on an unknown 30" x 17" horn a friend just gave me. That and a days listen on the xt1464.

Like said, it's waaay to early to make any valid observations, but my gut says the dcx is maybe optimized to be able to handle lower freq loading with a reduced risk. I don't know if this eventually comes at a price in terms of HF/VHF performance. Pure speculation..

Anybody know what horn this is ??...cabinet and horn says Professional Audio Systems and it has a RH SSD 3301 2" CD

Attachments

• PAS horn front.jpg
    PAS horn front.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • PAS horn back.jpg
    PAS horn back.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 366
Dried pork loin shut the audio works down. It's time for a sharp knife, wooden board, peace of meat and a man. Very primal feeling but quite satisfactory in my opinion. I indulge myself in a similar manner quite often these years :)

Very bad for the blood pressure but what the hell.

Last edited:
I've been all wrapped up with a synergy project, so not much time comparing them (dcx464 vs 4594he), in any kind of fair meaningful way.

But I have been using the dcx on the synergy projects, and I briefly tried it on an unknown 30" x 17" horn a friend just gave me. That and a days listen on the xt1464.

Like said, it's waaay to early to make any valid observations, but my gut says the dcx is maybe optimized to be able to handle lower freq loading with a reduced risk. I don't know if this eventually comes at a price in terms of HF/VHF performance. Pure speculation..

Anybody know what horn this is ??...cabinet and horn says Professional Audio Systems and it has a RH SSD 3301 2" CD

Hey Mark i want to buy 2 B&C DCX464 or 2 BMS 4594HE in pair with 2 RADIAN 2216 NEO (midbass bass reflex design) & 2 B&C 21IPAL (subwoofer bass reflex design). Which 2 of them high frequency drivers sounds better from 600-800hz and up with less distortion & natural sounding. Also which horn you suggest for best sound quality from 800hz and up? Is RCF HF950 really good ? I gonna use them for PA.