Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

B&C DCX464
B&C DCX464
B&C DCX464 Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:29 PM   #131
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post

Btw how is the sound? Quality? Etc. I want them for hifi of course.
Thnx
Getting there, hope to listen in another hour or so....
No point listening until in tune..... ime/imo.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:36 PM   #132
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The DCX464 is a no-brainer.
Attached Images
File Type: png B&C DCX464 vs BMS 4594HE.png (126.1 KB, 357 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:42 PM   #133
Bennett Prescott is offline Bennett Prescott  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Bennett Prescott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Connecticut
B&C DCX464
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
Bennet. What will the power handling be down at 300hz for lower power applications?
Hey Blossom,

I'm not really sure how to answer your question, since power handling doesn't vary much with frequency in a compression driver.
__________________
Bennett Prescott, Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA bprescott@bcspeakers.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:46 PM   #134
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London (UK) / sometimes Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
The DCX464 is a no-brainer.
These prices are very weird!!
Dcx and 4594HE have the same price in EU.
UK is 500gbp for one.

Edit: non HE is cheaper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:27 PM   #135
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post
These prices are very weird!!
Dcx and 4594HE have the same price in EU.
UK is 500gbp for one.

Edit: non HE is cheaper.
with 4594he from UK, 1.23 exchange, =$610
dcx464 from France, 1.11 exchange, = $436

Best prices I know of anyway ...
Pretty compelling case for the B&C price wise for sure...
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:52 PM   #136
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Doing some listening finally

Using the on-axis tuning below, that added a single rcf 12" mb12n405 to get down to 100Hz, to tie to sub (not shown).
(I tilt that flat line curve to taste, to the usual downward sloping curve prefered by most, (including me)).

First thing I immediately noticed, was that the 12" sounded hollow. I kinda remembered hearing the same sound when i tried the bms at lower frequencies than with my normal 650Hz crossover point (with the xt1464 or HF950 horns).

So I reworked the crossover between the 12" and the dcx from 500Hz to 650Hz...
plus this lets me compare more apples to apples to the bms, with the zillion songs I've heard crossed at 650Hz.....

Much better...maybe this horn just ain't meant to run lower...

Really beautiful, dynamic sound. Pleasure.

I guess the only quick observation I can hazard at this point vs the bms, is that the high freq end of the dcx might be a little smoother. Won't know for sure till I do some serious SPL crankin

Oh and one ergo thing I love about the dcx464...is not having the damn HF terminals stick straight out the dang back, always in the way ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 405 and dcx464 on 1464.JPG (97.0 KB, 342 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:57 PM   #137
Ale55andr082 is offline Ale55andr082
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
The DCX464 is a no-brainer.
cheaper connector and no copper cap on MR section















...I'm joking
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:59 PM   #138
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
It's indeed weird.
BMS 4594HE ND - 1.4" Coaxial Neodymium Driver 150 W 80 W 16 Ohms: 496.13 inc VAT.

That's a lot cheaper than even in Germany.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:31 PM   #139
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post

I guess the only quick observation I can hazard at this point vs the bms, is that the high freq end of the dcx might be a little smoother. Won't know for sure till I do some serious SPL crankin
This was to be expected as well, despite the less than stellar response.

I wonder how the DCX would perform behind a low Fc horn.

Mark100, do you happen to have a single diaphragm driver (preferably a FaitalPro ) at hand for comparison?

Last edited by Ro808; 23rd August 2019 at 08:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:57 PM   #140
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London (UK) / sometimes Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
Doing some listening finally

Using the on-axis tuning below, that added a single rcf 12" mb12n405 to get down to 100Hz, to tie to sub (not shown).
(I tilt that flat line curve to taste, to the usual downward sloping curve prefered by most, (including me)).

First thing I immediately noticed, was that the 12" sounded hollow. I kinda remembered hearing the same sound when i tried the bms at lower frequencies than with my normal 650Hz crossover point (with the xt1464 or HF950 horns).

So I reworked the crossover between the 12" and the dcx from 500Hz to 650Hz...
plus this lets me compare more apples to apples to the bms, with the zillion songs I've heard crossed at 650Hz.....

Much better...maybe this horn just ain't meant to run lower...

Really beautiful, dynamic sound. Pleasure.

I guess the only quick observation I can hazard at this point vs the bms, is that the high freq end of the dcx might be a little smoother. Won't know for sure till I do some serious SPL crankin

Oh and one ergo thing I love about the dcx464...is not having the damn HF terminals stick straight out the dang back, always in the way ...
Maybe its diyaudio bread and butter but whats the measurements? (Software hardware i mean) you use active here?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


B&C DCX464Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki