best 19mm tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when it all comes around, good and suitable drivers seems to be hard to find, lucky those who can build their own drivers

-it's still limited by physical constraints. The larger the diameter of the source, generally the more limited the dispersion higher in freq.

Really, you best bet is a good "meaty" (good low freq. extension) tweeter (like the 26ADC) + a tweeter with a very narrow diameter at freq.s above about 6 kHz for something like the RT1C-A.. well, at least for HORIZONTAL dispersion.

SB21RDC is a very good tweeter. I have used it couple of times with decent results. Very good dispersion, plenty of details. In its price range it is my favorite tweeter. I like it more than 26ADC (and I had good few of them).

The THD plot of sb21RDC is not properly scaled, it is around 1W. I will do some more measurements after I will finish up new calibrated measurement box.

Regards

Attachments

• daytonrs150fot1.jpg
    daytonrs150fot1.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 553
  • daytonrs150enclosure.jpg
    daytonrs150enclosure.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 603
  • daytonrs150crossover.png
    daytonrs150crossover.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 515
  • THD 1W.png
    THD 1W.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 523
  • w fazie 6.8R.png
    w fazie 6.8R.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 169
  • smJig.png
    smJig.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 161
  • SB21RDC.jpg
    SB21RDC.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
thank you, i will try upload some pictures. the problem i have is high in freq, above 5khz, there is a lack of dispersion, for 1 inch domes s-s "hds-tweeter" did best but not as good as the sb19. i am tempted to try a "small" ribbon after seened this
fountek_neocd20_risposte.jpg

Even a 34mm tweeter can have dispersion that shows less beaming than this. I don't think your issue is related to dome diameter. I guess you need to look at the implementation of your speaker(s) as a whole. You might also look into waveguides in order to tweak the dispersion / beaming, considering the speaker system as a whole.

this did not work, the tweeters started to sound a bit hysteric and annoying, so i went back to the hds tweeters, i aimed the speakers straight out in to the room instead of toward the sweet spot, i changed the crossover for a more or less flat response 30 deg off axis but a bit peaky (treble) on axis response, this sounds very balanced in my room, linear but still airy. audax has some tweeters with a very flat 30 deg off axis response but a mighty rising response on axis, but they perform quite poorly with high distortion, any idea of other tweeters with a rising on axis response?

I've heard these in a few designs.. very clear and "open". BUT they can get little *"spitty"/coarse depending on the design (likely depending on freq. response tailoring and cabinet diffraction). Non-linear distortion should be good to just below 2 kHz and extension is good, so maybe a 2nd order a bit above that? Crossover component-quality matters with this one.

*as a result though (less damping), they are excellent with low-level detail.

Last edited:
New tweeters are on its way. :) But i have a feel there is something wrong with my room and my setup within. The room is almost like a bunker, concret walls, floors and ceiling. But i have lots of stuff in there to calm down the sound, the room echoes like crazy when naked. Maybe i have stuffed it to much? It may sound silly but to me it sounds like i have none or very weak high frequency reflections, the ”air” in the sound field is lost. But when i listen closer to the speakers i can hear that the ”air” is there, but it is lost at the listening position. I thought at first this was a problem with a narrow tweeter dispersion, but maybe it is not, maybe i just need to somehow add high frequency reflections toward the listening position. I might try to build some reflectors that can collect late reflections and aim them towards the listening spot?! How does that sound?

..But i have lots of stuff in there to calm down the sound, the room echoes like crazy when naked. Maybe i have stuffed it to much?

You could always try "un-stuffing" it. ;)

Most of the time "slap" echo can be mitigated with SPOT treatment. Ceiling corners and edges are typical place to start. (..I've done this before with just what appears to be a "drawn" curtain in opposing corners of the room.)

SB21RDC is a very good tweeter. I have used it couple of times with decent results. Very good dispersion, plenty of details. In its price range it is my favorite tweeter. I like it more than 26ADC (and I had good few of them).

The THD plot of sb21RDC is not properly scaled, it is around 1W. I will do some more measurements after I will finish up new calibrated measurement box.

Regards

borys, can you tell me a bit about the SB15CAC and SB21RDC plan you have posted here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.