Broken wire on a coil, any way to fix it ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I got some sound problem on my speaker and after looking at it, there is a broken wire as you can see on this pic

I tried to solder with tin but it does not work.. Do you know how can I fix it ?

It's a Boston G512-4 speaker.

329451d1481331297-soudure-subwoofer-faire-20161110_212455.jpg

329450d1481331247-soudure-subwoofer-faire-gghg.jpg

Thank you :)

Last edited:
"What can I use to do this?"
Using a sharp blade (x-acto type knife) scrape off some of that black stuff to expose a little bit more of the voice coil wire next to the break.

Next gently scrape the enamel off that section of voice coil wire.

This should expose enough copper for you to strengthen the repair by soldering a suitably sized strand of copper wire across the break.

Sorry if I'm getting it wrong Moondog, but it appears to me that the OP has been attempting to solder where the voice coil wire is crossing over to the upper, rectangular solder pad.

I am seeing a lumpy, uneven solder residue there and some melted 'wax'. Hope the OP will clarify soon.

i looked at it again on a larger higher rez monitor and the bottom pad has an oval approaching the edges of the square pad, the upper one i see an oval that is much smaller in diameter.
are the tinsel leads on the topside of the cone or is that what's up with the double row of silicone globs on the spider is that where the tinsel leads where attached?

was continuity checked with a meter? being a car audio sub with long excursion all soldering must not create a raised point or build up that could wind up getting caught in the gap.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.