Info value of Frazier Concerto-D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Forum.

I just picked this pair of speakers, I don't know much about the name and model can't find anything on it. But they sound great. They are Frazier's made in Dallas Texas "supposedly handmade" low number serial number count, the model is Concerto - D they are 8 Ohms no info on watt.

If anyone could give me the value of these speakers of if they a known to be any good that would be nice. They work and sound good so that is a good thing.

I will post pictures of the front of them where most of the info is.

Thanks!

Pitures

Sorry didn't post in original for some reason

Attachments

• 20190318_193908.jpg
    20190318_193908.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 20190318_193850.jpg
    20190318_193850.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 127

GM

Joined 2003
that's a cute speaker - - a Frazier "Californian" might be cool to have

Interesting! Been to this site many times. but this time AVAST blocked it due to some sort of downloader virus. :(

Anyway, the Californian has some collectible value, the rest of the consumer audio TTBOMK all have inexpensive components with basic XOs in so-so constructed cabs, so only as valuable as it sounds to ones ears to my way of thinking.

GM

I like the sound, so are theses worth 75$ at least?

No clue other than in my locale they'd only be worth maybe ~ $15-20/pr. in a yard sale and even then only if the cabs weren't too nicked up, stained, etc.. I mean I use to buy similar/same components at Radio Shack, so it's in that category nowadays since virtually no modern consumers have heard of Frazier, but might recognize its semblance to RS and others of their ilk at yard sales............. :(

GM

I like the sound, so are theses worth 75$ at least?

I know this is an old post, but chiming in regards to Frazier speakers, they are pretty decent speakers. Frazier was one of the fellows that Klipsch actually held in high regard for making a nice sounding, VERY high efficient speaker.

Sadly, Frazier was never well known and in later years when the company was taken over, they no longer produced good products.

I have heard some Fraziers myself, but more in the pro-line such as the Dixielanders and the Texans. Living in NY, most of the clubs here had Texans in them from the 70's - 90's. The Texan is an insane sounding speaker that can blow you away with as small as a 30 wpc amplifier. I had put these up against JBL's and told the guy to keep the JBL's. BUT I was never a fan of JBL's anyway. It was JBL's cousin, Altec Lansing, that made the incredible sounding speaker cabinets. But that is another story.

Recently I had a chance to pick up a pair of Dixielanders, but passed on it mainly because the cabinets were too heavy. So someone recommended the Concertos to me, also citing that they were a 'mini Dixielander'. So I have been looking for those to try to give a listen to. But the fellow that recommended them is an avid Frazier fan and says it is a good speaker.

While the good thing is that you can pick up Fraziers for a song and a dance, there is a downside and that if something goes wrong with them, it is going to be hard to find original replacement parts. Keep in mind to what I said about Frazier being in its heyday in the 70's. So you are looking at 50 year old speakers now. So unless they have been well cared for and kept indoors, the speaker cones will be drying out and rotting by now. Finding proper parts to recone them can be difficult. Also, you probably are going to have to go through the crossovers and replace the old caps in them for the cabinets to sound at their best too. A not so difficult task as finding reconing parts, but you are still looking to put some work into these. If you are willing to do so, Fraziers are very nice speakers, and highly efficient. So they are kind of like a poor man's Klipsch.

As the glyph posted above, the Concerto boasts a frequency response of 35-25k and has a 96db 1w/1m spl rating. That is decent enough for most lower powered SE amplifiers. I would say to get the Concerto's fixed up and enjoy them. If you don't like them, well perhaps I will take them off your hands if you are willing to ship them. But, if its the latter then more than likely you probably will have sold them off by now.

Regards,
Geo

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.