Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

ExBushMe, Meister! 2-way speaker Synergy FAST
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2019, 09:32 PM   #1
StabMe is offline StabMe
diyAudio Member

Default ExBushMe, Meister! 2-way speaker Synergy FAST

Hey DIYAudio!

So I've read a few threads on Synergy concept and then got fascinated and sold on two fay Synergy FAST design that xrk and Bushmeister used in their speaker build. I decided that i need that thing!

First, i started acquiring equipment. While there are plenty of speaker and horn options in Russia, i wasn't able to find a local source of 18Sound horn that Bush used in his build, nor the Faital horn. There were people who promised to import them, but that required a lot of waiting and i needed the stuff by my door today so i decided to look for an alternative.

So i bought this p.audio horn:

Click the image to open in full size.

It was not as smooth as those used by X and Bush, but i still decided to go ahead.

I decided to buy SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 driver that was used in xBush build since it was highly regarded by litterally everyone who tried it. Bought the driver from US, paid a little extra for shipping.

I originally was planning on using Beyma 8G-40 as mid-bass drivers. I like those, they are true beasts and i use them in sealed boxes in my car. But they turned out too big for that particular horn. So, i put aside 4 Beymas for later project (hint: which is already in the making)

I started looking for a cheap alternative. After a bit of searching, i decided to try a local brand: Ural and their flagship midbass driver 6.5" "Warhead":

The driver is highly regarded among car audio enthusiasts here in Russia. Here are the specs:

Size: 6.5 inches
Frequency Range: 36-7000 Hz
Max Power: 360W
Nominal Power: 180W
Resistance: 4
Sensitivity: 93
Fs: 42
Qts: 0,6
Vas: 16,2

The specs are distorted by their marketing team, i believe. Especially the frequency range and sensitivity. But otherwise, they modeled quite nice in both Hornresp and WINISD:

Then, since my woodworking skills are practically zero, i found a local guy with a CNC machine whom i asked to build the whole thing by my drawings.

First, i needed an adapter for a 2 inch throat. This is what we were able to get using CNC and MDF:

Next up, we needed to somehow position woofers on the horn. The drawing i supplied to the CNC guy looked like this:

I was originally going to use a 40mm injection port, but then decided to go with 50mm port to minimize chuffing. And a thinner piece of MDF - i decided that 16mm of thickness is plenty.

Here is what we got as a result:

Now for the box. The dimensions were decided to be 45x45x35.

This sequence shows the process:

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Woofer adapters were mounted using tite bond glue:

Widebanders have their own 0.5L enclosure:

It is a 2-way speaker and will be supported with a subwoofer crossed at about 80-100hz. Such systems needs an active processing and amplifying. Since i had a few car audio amps and Audison Bit One laying around i decided to by 220->12V transfomer and use this stuff for this speaker:

And here's how the whole thing looks as a final product:

I just brough the whole thing home and will tune it tomorrow.
I plan on using LR24 filters on everything. Crossing it at about 500-600Hz.

I tape-measured the distance between the widebander and woofer injection port and will use it in the DSP for time alignment. The distance is 17cm, by the way.

BitOne only has graphic eq with 31 bands. Which is a pity. But i do have Dirac DDRC laying around, which i will use as a final correction module.

What ya guys think?

P.S. After the start of this project, i found a local opportunity to buy 18Sound horn that Bushmeister used in his speaker for cheap. And then i also bought Faital HF104 compression driver. So i will be doing an almost PA synergy build with those a bit later with Beymas and Faital CD.
Old 16th March 2019, 10:09 PM   #2
BYRTT is online now BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

......subscribed......
Old 16th March 2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Mayuri is offline Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

Interesting project!
Old 17th March 2019, 12:13 AM   #4
oon_the_kid is online now oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I believe the sbacoutics is a good speaker, however sensitivity is a bit low. How about one of those italian pro 3", faitalpro 3fe22 or Beyma or 18sound.

The faitalpro is 91db/watt especially in the region you are talking about...

Oon
Old 17th March 2019, 12:50 AM   #5
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Nice work! How does it sound?!
Old 17th March 2019, 02:57 AM   #6
BYRTT is online now BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabMe View Post
...I just brough the whole thing home and will tune it tomorrow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
...How does it sound?!
Hang over today in a home sweet home of Virginia or what ......
Old 17th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #7
bushmeister is offline bushmeister
diyAudio Member

Wow great work!
Really looking forward to seeing the measurements!
I still love my synergies - particularly for near field listening as they are so point source!
I think horn dispersion plays a huge role - if you've been following some of the threads on here about dispersion properties and listening preferences.
I want to try a wider dispersion horn at some point to compare.
Keep the updates coming!
Old 17th March 2019, 06:42 PM   #8
StabMe is offline StabMe
diyAudio Member

They sound spectacular. The sound is very detailed, smooth. Instruments in the image are very detectable - i can almost see them if i close my eyes. Well, even if i don't Can't ramp up the volume much, though - i live in an old house and everything starts to rumble which ruins the sound.

Will post measurements as soon as i figure out the way to feed the digital input of my DDRC22 - i don't have a sound card with digital output.

ExBushMe, Meister! 2-way speaker Synergy FASTHide this!Advertise here!