Seas coax transmissionline monitor help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
Im a total newbie in this field of speaker building, i do however have years of experience in wood working, and as a mix and mastering engineer.

Until recently i owned a pair of Aps-coax monitors, which uses a single seas coax driver, similar to the one posted below.
H1353-08/06 T18REX/XFC
As i really like this driver i was thinking to build a passive monitor around it, but instead of the sealed enclosure used by Aps, id like to try them out in a TM enclosure, in order to extend the bass a bit without getting the hard 24db cut off.
However, Im not quite sure how to design it, but id like the box to be relatively small, book shelf style less than approx less than 18l, and the response to be as flat as a pancake, down as low as possible.
Any advise would be appreciated:)
Best
kristian

I haven't done any calculations, but it doesn't really work the way you describe :)

Either you say I want to use this driver, this cabinet type and I want a flat response - and then you get an enclosure configuration that may be nothing like what you expected. Or, you say I want a certain enclosure size and type, and then you play around with different drivers and response curves to get something that isn't way off what you wanted.

Trying to choose both at the start of your design process isn't really possible - unless you are very lucky ;)

Sure, i get what you are saying. However, my point was merely, i really like the sound of this particular driver, and i have come to value the time allignment of coaxial drivers. The kit loki mk3 kit provided by seas seems intriguing, but i really am not a fan of bass ported cabinets, the roll off makes it hard to identify problems in the deep bass region, as the cut off is too sharp....

Assuming the specs for the driver to which you linked are reasonably accurate, its Qts is REALLY low and its performance in a TL is very unlikely to be at all good. Also ported boxes and TLs are both 4th-order systems. While you can, you won't necessarily achieve a slower roll-off with a TL (unless you literally stuff the life out of the line and eliminate all contribution from the line's exit in the bass region).
Paul

It's probably more correct for me to say that you'd not gain any improvement using a TL as compared to a ported box for that driver. Since my only "expertise" is designing TLs, both tapered and mass-loaded, a driver with a Qts in the 0.35 to 0.5 range will usually perform quite well in a TL. When Qts is lower, especially below 0.3, good results become increasingly more difficult to achieve. Just to be clear, I haven't claimed and don't claim of being an expert at anything, including TL design.
Paul

Okay, thanks paul you saved me a few nights of ggogling right there, no need to persue this any further the :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.