Adding tweeter to full range speaker super high ohm resistor needed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
P.S. When using the calculator enter just one tenth of your amplifier power, as that's the maximum which will reach the tweeter via its 12db/octave high pass filter.

This calculator is a bit simpler to use than the Weber one.

LPad Driver Attenuation Circuit Designer Calculator

I guess the tweeter will survive even if connected with no crossover at all, since amplifier driving this contraption is:
a 3W bluetooth chip amp

nor there is danger of having the tweeter fall out at such high power since:
just superglued then hot glued in place

and in any case Math tells me that a 75 ohm resistor in series with a 4 ohm speaker produces an attenuation of 25.5dB ... I guess that tweeter will survive anything that 3W amp can throw at it. :rolleyes:

Thanks JM!

realflow100 also says that the crossover circuit (12dB/octave) is sealed inside the housing of the tweeter so he would not be able to insert an L-pad between the crossover and tweeter anyway!

@ realflow100 - like you said, just go on using the tweeter as you have set it up. :)

Ok! and yeah i tried it with my class D 2x50W amp hooked to 12v 2A power supply and the speaker bottoms out from too much bass if I turn it up past like around 11 oclock position on the volume knob on certain songs and I dont want break the speaker since it sounds decent.
so sticking to the 3W bluetooth chip amp it is! it gets close to bottoming out on max volume but the amp limits the power so it doesnt bottom out. runs off 5v USB with a 18650 3300mAh panasonic cell so it should last a long time on battery power. it is the loudest while plugged into USB though. but only by a few dB

I hooked a 5v 2.5A power supply to the input where the battery would for for the bluetooth module. now its a bit too powerful. if I turn the volume up too loud. on some songs the bass hits at just the right frequency and the speaker it came with bottoms out. (even with a modified smaller deeper tuned port to help reduce the boomyness and make it sound cleaner.
but the amp chip is barely skin temperature. It doesnt feel hot at all.
theres a lot less distortion too at high volume. more bass too.
it actually powers my MK402 bookshelf speakers quite surprisingly well now too. it actually gets them flexing a bit at the low frequencies!

Last edited:
I hooked a 5v 2.5A power supply to the input where the battery would for for the bluetooth module. now its a bit too powerful. if I turn the volume up too loud. on some songs the bass hits at just the right frequency and the speaker it came with bottoms out. (even with a modified smaller deeper tuned port to help reduce the boomyness and make it sound cleaner.
but the amp chip is barely skin temperature. It doesnt feel hot at all.
theres a lot less distortion too at high volume. more bass too.
it actually powers my MK402 bookshelf speakers quite surprisingly well now too. it actually gets them flexing a bit at the low frequencies!

Well, that´s a lie and you know it.

Like when you said you powered a car amplifier with a 9V battery and it worked fine. :rolleyes:

its not a lie.
and the car amplifier cut off at 7v for some reason it has a really low cutoff voltage. i was using a beefy rechargeable 9v NIMH battery rated like 300mAh

and it works fine. I just plugged 5v 2.5A power supply for a USB powered hub into where the battery would go and it seems to be a lot more powerful now with less distortion compared to just using battery power.
the amplifier chip (its mono since the speaker it was in only had one speaker) barely gets warm even at max volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.