Adding tweeter to full range speaker super high ohm resistor needed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tested the speaker and tweeter with a variety of resistor values and it seems the speaker sounds the best with a 75 ohm (two 150ohm ones in parallel) resistor!

the tweeter doesnt overwhelm the speakers that way. but they sound decently balanced.

I compared the cheap 3 inch 3 ohm speaker + tweeter to my dayton audio MK402 speakers
and the treble sounds pretty good on both. only difference is lack of bass and the cheap speaker has a much warmer sound to it. (i ported the speaker in its box with a deeply tuned port to give it a more clean sound. less distortion at high volume levels. didnt want to completely seal the box since then it sounds muddy instead.

is it crazy that the tweeter needs such a high value resistor with it to make it sound balanced and not overwhelming the speaker?
the tweeter is directly above the speaker standing on the top of the box. just superglued then hot glued in place to keep it in a decent spot

its a really cheap speaker but sounds decent for use as a bluetooth speaker or speaker on the go.
it doesnt take much power to get loud either. even a 3W bluetooth chip amp can almost bottom it out. it has really soft suspension and surround. no coil rub all all the way to the maximum of its travel in both directions.
paper cone foam surround.
I might get another one to make it a set to have as spare or something.

It appears you are putting a 75 ohm resistor in series with your tweeter to lower its output to match that of the main speaker. This certainly seems a high value, indicating that the two drivers are vastly different in sensitivity.

If it sounds OK to you then stick with it - it can't do any harm!

the tweeter is a 200W cheap super tweeter kind of thing. shaped like a small round cylinder with two small wires coming out the bottom side of it from the side of the cylinder wall

it had some fancy word on the packaging for the "type" of tweeter
without the resistor its all i can hear is just the tweeter. the speaker is only just audible lol

It sounds pretty good with the 75ohm resistor though combined with the cheap little 3-inch 3-ohm speaker. brings good sparkle/air to the speaker.

it has an internal 2.2uF or 3.3uF capacitor inside it. the packaging says it has a capacitor built in.
i'm not sure exactly what value it is. but probably around that range of 2.2uF to 3.3uF

it definitely sounds like it has a capacitor in series with it. otherwise i'd hear way more midrange from it with or without the resistor

Compared to my dayton audio MK402's the speaker sounds more lively. the midrange seems closer to me.
and with the tweeter it sounds pretty nice.

I tested putting some eggcrate 1" foam panels in the box trying different amounts of it. but it didnt do much so I took them out

the box the speaker is in is quite large actually.

i tried adding caps the first time. only had two 3.3uF ones. tried one. tried both in series.
but nope barely any difference. still massively too overpowering
so then I tried resistors instead and it sounded way better that way.
its glued together pretty tightly. dont think im gonna get into it without damaging something or ruining its sound quality forever in some way. so cant just open it up and swap out the capacitor

it sounds like everything is coming from one source. I can definitely tell the tweeter is working it makes a noticable difference when I enable/disable the tweeter or put my hand over it
but it still sounds like its all from one speaker

Last edited:
This certainly seems a high value, indicating that the two drivers are vastly different in sensitivity.
Yes, probably the tweeters are 4 Ω and the "woofer" is 8 Ω.

About adding or not some capacitance
i tried adding caps the first time. only had two 3.3uF ones. tried one. tried both in series.
I was saying of decreasing it. Scientifically: 0.47 uF.........1uF - Better to let the two cables out away from the tweeter, and to do the changes at the end of the cable

I wrote in my first post that the speaker is 3 ohms 3 watts and 3-inches across written on the back of the magnet and the tweeter is probably 4 ohms

the tweeter is just overpowering due to its high sensitivity and high output. it has a neo magnet
it sounds just fine with the 75ohm resistor going to it. no reason to change anything if it sounds good. gives just enough air to the speaker without being too overpowering.
its noticable but not overpowering.

reversing the polarity without the resistor makes it sound almost identical. just weird sounding
with the resistor and wired reversed. the tweeter is completely silent. cant hear it at all anymore. sounds like its unplugged

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.