Dayton Audio Hi-Fi speaker cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am itching to build a 2-way with 5.25" woofer, TBD. The tweeter is ScanSpeak Revelator D2902/9900-00 1" dome. I am looking for a pre-finished cabinet for a sealed box. I remember the Dayton Audio Hi-Fi series cabinet sold at Parts Express. To my surprise, PE is no longer carrying them. I went to the Dayton Audio site and they are not there either.
7793a899-cb2b-409b-85fe-32405f5a435c_1.eb38c01fff0c3d854cebb4dbfd4971fe.jpg
Are there alternate source for them? I found a few cabinet at AliExpress, but they are too expensive and do not fit my project.

Building the cabinet out of MDF is easy. Getting the right finish is the difficult part. I built 4 6.5" bookshelf with piano black finish. The result is, should I say, less than satisfactory. I followed the process I described in my bookshelf speaker post. They look ok with nice, smooth finish, but the paint chips easily.

I know this is very uncoventional, but for my next cabinets I think I'll use the same concept I used for the compression driver shroud you see in the photo. The front baffle and rear baffle will be from solid wood circles (very easy to finish solid wood) probably 2" thick to allow huge roundover/chamfer to combat diffraction, and the cabinet walls are sonotube. The beauty of the technique is that the sonotube can be wrapped with either cabinet vinyl (I buy from a local cabinet shop), or my favorite, prefinished aluminum coil (beautiful finish and very durable). Put the seam on the bottom where you won't see it. The tube drops into a groove you route into the end caps. You need to stuff the enclosure to combat standing waves, and devise a stand to hold it. But it is a very easy way to make a nice looking cab.

Attachments

• 20190315_102553.jpg
    20190315_102553.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 442
You could try to find a cheap pair of Polk rti a1 and repurpose the cabs, assuming the volume would work. Very nice looking veneer, and they're under 200 bucks new. You could cut the baffle off and glue yours on. Good luck. Glenn.

I looked up this speaker. The size and shape is right for me. It probably will not work for me because Polk put the woofer in the middle height wise, not leaving room for a round shape tweeter. The Polk TSi100 may work better for me with the vent on the back panel.

I usually stay away from commercial brand speaker cabinet because most use relatively thin MDF wall construction. Do you have any information on the construction of bookshelf cabinet made by Polk?

Last edited:
I think that you are referring to cutting the speaker openings for the tweeter and woofer. It is not an issue for me since I have done it many times.
IMG_2382.jpg IMG_2389.jpg

Unless Polk makes the baffle "screw-on", otherwise, cutting off a glued baffle can be a problem and may damage the integrity of the enclosure. BTW, my box will be the sealed type.

-well, it adheres to paint.. also, use (2-part) Bondo (not woodfiller) for *joints (if desired) - with the typical sanding (ultra fine finish for smooth surface): including the paint (..and then cleaning the surface thoroughly).

..by "paint" I mean a clear (hard) coat/sealer from a can that will sand well.

Remember though that joints can be beneficial in some circumstances to get a good finish with the vinyl, so choose carefully what joints will be filled and what will be used for your vinyl application.

Shown: use of joints for vinyl application..

YouTube

..video for Vinyl and Wood (and he isn't using any sealer):

YouTube

..his notes on wood finish:

YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.