Onken for Altec 515-16G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Did a lot of reading and use several Excel SS to calculate the size of the cabinet.
What I find is an size of 250L to 300L and a S vent of 600 cm² and about 30cm long.
Resistor 5 to 6 Ohm.
Did I do this right or has someone a better proposal?
I have 4 Altec 515-16G.
Maybe there are better enclosures for them.
I want to build a two way with a Yuchi horn on top so it has to be a reasonable height, say not above 85cm

Rob

GM

Joined 2003
Never heard an Onken with a 515. I'd be worried about the low end. What do your sims show? 360L was the classic size for the 416.

The 8G has a ~37 Hz Fs, so if tuned to it, it's flat enough to be 'boomy' in some rooms and definitely when near/at a corner, so in some cases need to be either damped or tuned lower. The ~20 - 25 Hz 515s OTOH are definitely bass shy compared to the 416s except in a corner.

Size wise, the pioneer's Vas/1.44 works a treat, so ~244 L tuned to Fs with Av = Sd vents and damp to 'taste'.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Better than I thought. Gotta look up the volume of an 816. 6 cubic feet, maybe?

Dunno, don't recall ever figuring it out since I learned the hard way with 210s that I don't like parallel horn walls, so chopped down 825 cabs to the pioneer's original 'one size fits all' ~6 ft^3/45 Hz MI specs. Seems reasonable then that your guess is spot on or TTBOMK certainly good enough. ;)

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.