Line array Open Baffle using Line array wavegudes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I would like to ask here about a line array waveguide/horn that I have seen in pro audio. I had the idea of doing an open baffle speaker using 4 12" drivers and multiple
PRV Audio WG2-230Ti in a line array vertically aligned at the side in mirror image configuration. Pretty much the sight of an Infinity IRS. These waveguides come in single or dual driver configurations and I would like to know if this is factible for a home audio application Now, I would like to read all kind of opinions and will be very welcome.

Last edited:
I want the unboxy sound and use multiple compression drivers vertically to create a cylindrical wave, if you can visualize it. pretty much like a Magnepan but using dynamic transducers that can handle and reproduce to higher levels. I am biamping and using active crossover/DSP..

I'm not sure what the waveguides look like, but the tweeters need to be very close to each other in a line array, how close will the waveguides allow them to be mounted? Can you post a pic?

I have a line array in the works. If you are hoping for the magnepan like sound, then you want limited off axis energy with rear radiation. I am planning an array of 2" drivers. If run open baffle, you get some directivity horizontally from the off axis cancelation, but it won't beam like a planar. An OB woofer or two per side for the low end ( no reason for a woofer array depending on the xo frequency). I simmed a waveguide for both sides too, but it didn't seem worthwhile for the size required.

Edit : I looked at the tweeter, interesting idea, but no rear radiation, so it will sound the opposite of a magnepan. Horns have a "sound beamed right in you face" presentation (which I like). Magnepans have an open relaxed "sound laid out in front of you" sound. 107db at 1 watt? $100 a pop! Not really an array candidate for home audio, unless you live in a stadium. Plus you'd need an array of mids then and can't go open baffle with them, if there's no rear sound radiated in the treble, you don't want it on the mid range.

Last edited:
When you consider a good dipole is something like Linkwitz's LX521, making something like that into a line array would not be a simple task, I think CTC distances would be a problem, what do you think?

I don't pariculiary have the LX521 in mind, IMHO the challenge is to use a 12" array in a OB configuration and then use every possible solution to make it works.

not so sure they did it completely right as the midrange in their two high end range is handled by a single driver. Their lowest end product has a midrange array but no bass array. Add a bass array to that and it might outshine the others or maybe Welti, Deddes et al were right and all one needs to add is multiple subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.