Earthworks Sigma 6.2 Monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've finally come across a pair of these at a price I could afford. I've drawn the crossover out to the best of my ability. Can someone explain the woofer's crossover and why it has 3 inductors? It seems the tweeter has a simple resistor to lower the level, and a 6.8uF cap to block low frequencies.

The drive units are Vifa units. XT25TG30-04 for the tweeter & P17SJ-00 008 as the woofer. Nice sounding speakers, perhaps a little bright, I find it interesting that the resistor I've labeled R2 is 4.7Ω and 3.9Ω on the other crossover. Is this how they dial everything in to be exact and get them as matched pairs?

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_2323 copy.jpg
    IMG_2323 copy.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_2325 copy.jpg
    IMG_2325 copy.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_2281 copy.jpg
    IMG_2281 copy.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Sigma 6.2.jpeg
    Sigma 6.2.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 378
Congrats, that is one cool looking speaker!!

I have never heard it but been a fan of the look ever since I read about it in stereophile in 2003.

Earthworks Sigma 6.2 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I have the drivers on the shelf, and I think the midwoofer is more like midrange, not much bass can come out. Can you tell some about the interior, about the damping.

Crossover is a first order circuit with two response corrections on the midwoofer.

I am glad to see your pics, thank you!

It's a bit of a unique circuit ( so thanks for bringing forward ).

The other LCR ( bypassing L1 ) acts as a PEQ with a bit of boost ( centered around 4200 hz ) which is the frequency area where JohnA ( of Stereophile fame ) mentioned there is measurable off-axis "bloom" .

Anyways, with both drivers set for positive polarity I need to add 1/2" of offset depth to the tweeter to get the hi-mids ( above 1K ) to break the 85db thresh-hold .

OTOH, if I flip the tweeters polarity ( and go back to zero offset I get the following;

attachment.php

The peakiness seen at around 8K ( now ) more closely resembles Stereophiles measurements ( I think ).

EW6FIG3.jpg

Makes me wonder, what's going on here.

:)

Attachments

• Earthworks Sigma 6.2_HF_flipped polarity_.PNG
    Earthworks Sigma 6.2_HF_flipped polarity_.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 449
  • EarthWorks Sigma 6.2.dxo
    63.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I drew the crossover components and wiring on the opposite side just in case I've made a mistake in my drawings. Can someone explain how it all comes together and works? I'm guessing the complex nature is due to the time coherent design?

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 63
I drew the crossover components and wiring on the opposite side just in case I've made a mistake in my drawings. Can someone explain how it all comes together and works? I'm guessing the complex nature is due to the time coherent design?

Your drawings are accurate, you haven't made any mistakes. ;)

I mentioned in my first two posts what the 2 LCR circuits do ( one is an impedance EQ, that flattens the overall load, which is accomplished by the 1mH coil that's in series with the 15uF cap and the 10 ohm resistor ) while the other provides a bit of lowQ FR boost ( for the woofer ) centered around 4200hz ( that's the LCR comprisings parts values of 0.47mH, 3.3uF + 39R ).

The other components ( "my" schematics L1 & C1 < or > 1mH & 6.8uF ) form a 6db per octave crossover that's centered around 3K.

The 4.7R resistor found in front of C1 attenuates the tweeter level to better match the woofer.

attachment.php

:)

Attachments

• Earthworks Sigma 6.2_3K Crossover_.PNG
    Earthworks Sigma 6.2_3K Crossover_.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 412
Just some more photos showing the cabinet and the construction. Threaded metal inserts are used to secure the back panel on. The P17SJ-00s were broken in, measured and "matched" No labels on the tweeters, but they seem to replace them with XT25TG30-04 and they sound identical. Binding Posts are WBT 0765 (fully insulated) apparently they are $40 each :eek:

I bought a Hafler XL-600 from a guy who worked there, and as such, I was shown around the place (they have measurement rooms and lots of fancy stuff) and that's when I heard these speakers for the first time. They had a bunch of Denmark made XT25TG30-04 tweeters lying around for replacement purposes.

I've also heard from Eric Blackmer (son of the founder) and he stated the cabinets were a real chore to produce. They had to send a lot of cabinets back due to defects. The difficulty of production and the discontinuation of the P17SJ/P17WJ I think is what pushed them to discontinue it (just my guess)

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.