12" woofer in cab to small opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to All,
I been looking at various 12" woofers that might work well in a 65 liter ported enclosure. The Ciare HW321 has caught my eye but it appears to require a larger cab. According to WinIsd, somewhere around 95 liters plus is standard for this driver. At least to achieve QB3 or BB4 alignments. My question is can this driver work well in less vb then optimum? I have attached some screenshots for comparison.
Green= 65l @ 32hz
Magenta= 99.65l @ 32hz (QB3 alignment)
Blue= 98.52l @ 27hz (BB4 alignment)

Best,
Rich

Attachments

• Ciarehw321_TF.png
    Ciarehw321_TF.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Ciarehw321_Spl.png
    Ciarehw321_Spl.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Ciarehw321_GD.png
    Ciarehw321_GD.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Ciarehw321_ce.png
    Ciarehw321_ce.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Ciarehw321_MP.png
    Ciarehw321_MP.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 191
the system will be less sensitive.

but it can still be ok. just not optimum.

also it depends somewhat on the driver. if it has a strong magnet.

looking to your sims, driver excursion decreases as does output, when compared to the other alinement's

so you can 'make up' some of that output by driving the driver to same excursion.

so long as the magnet is strong and the voice coil can take the power.

have you a simulation for max output for the alinement's presented?

Thanks WaVeInFoRm,
I appreciate your response. Attached is a couple more sims to compare. The first screenshot is max spl. The 2nd. is spl comparison @ 100w. In my opinion, it appears my 65 liter cab would work well with this driver.:) Unless, I have overlooked something.

Best Regards,
Rich

Attachments

• Ciarehw321_max-spl.png
    Ciarehw321_max-spl.png
    302.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Ciarehw321_spl@100w.png
    Ciarehw321_spl@100w.png
    301.2 KB · Views: 46
Enclosure Q and bass quality

Keep in mind that a higher enclosure Q (lower cabinet volume) will also affect the quality of the bass. It seems less precise and articulate. It can be an acceptable compromise, but it does matter. I generally use larger cabinet sizes than most would and use digital eq to correct the reduced low bass. I prefer the sound that way. That also has the cost of reducing max output though.

I'm sure you are aware that box stuffing can increase the effective box size by about 15% but don't forget to deduct driver volume from the total too.

Thanks cspieker,
That's the kind of input I'm looking for. Although I probably would not go that route, it helps to learn what might work and whats not worth trying at all.:) Matter of fact, I will continue on with the 12" woofer search and compile a list of acceptable candidates. I'm going to start another thread with hypothetical T/S parameters for the ideal woofer for my Classic 3way project.

Best Regards,
Rich

This is a simple matter of whether or not one can make peace with reduced woofer output at lower frequencies smaller cabinets produce. I am a practical man, whenever there is no room for an enclosure, there is room for Linkwitz transform.

Last edited:
Hi Old'n'Cranky,
Are you referring to the hypothetical woofer in the Unibox screenshots on the other thread? If so, then it does not exist. Those were T/S parameters that I arrived at to achieve what I believed to be close to ideal for 65 liter ported enclosure. I must apologize for being to simple here but not completely sure what you are asking.:)

Best,
Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.