Speaker build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like you're new to the forum 1929, so I'll give your thread a little nudge.

Tell us more about your dilemma - can't you make up your mind between a 2-way system and a coaxial system?

Personally, I'd be happy with either of the systems you've mentioned - if only I had houseroom for them! :house:

Looks like you're new to the forum 1929, so I'll give your thread a little nudge.

Tell us more about your dilemma - can't you make up your mind between a 2-way system and a coaxial system?

Personally, I'd be happy with either of the systems you've mentioned - if only I had houseroom for them! :house:
My friend said the same thing, if he only had the room. I have Pi 4 speakers now, with the JBL 15" Woofers, but I heard the my friends Altec Model 14, just wondering how much better the Model 19 or 17 sound.

The larger horn on the Model_19 usually earns the winning vote, especially in larger rooms where the listener is over 8' away.

-Check the latest prices at GPA on parts for the Model_19 and Altec 604.
-Newer tech like the BMS 4594ND coaxial compression driver, OS and eJMLC profile waveguides are in the same price range.
-Since you own Pi 4 speakers, you might decide to study a few "big-jump" designs before you make a decision.

Attachments

• Big Easy Coaxial.jpg
    Big Easy Coaxial.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 116
The larger horn on the Model_19 usually earns the winning vote, especially in larger rooms where the listener is over 8' away.

-Check the latest prices at GPA on parts for the Model_19 and Altec 604.
-Newer tech like the BMS 4594ND coaxial compression driver, OS and eJMLC profile waveguides are in the same price range.
-Since you own Pi 4 speakers, you might decide to study a few "big-jump" designs before you make a decision.
Thanks for the info

Cant make a decision, which do most prefer, to build a Altec lansing Model 19, or build a Stonehenge cabinent with a 604 coaxial?

Overall performance wise, my Avatar 'speaks' for me ;).

The 19 is designed for large studio monitoring/playback, whereas the 604 is a small room [near-field = 4 ft back then] radio broadcast, etc., studio monitoring/playback two way system, so while both work to a lesser or greater extent in any room with the LP distance being the primary deciding criteria after personal preference; the 19 is the more compromised in a small room unless properly damped to be ~ reflection free to behind the LP and bass traps used to knock down at least the worst of the room mode LF peaks.

GM

Boom-Boom is a good name for a Boxer, not a HiFi speaker.

The original Model_19 port is just a 26sqin rectangle cut into 0.75" plywood port...11" x 2.35" x 0.75" has F3 ~39.4Hz port tuning for 9cuft volume 9664Hz resonance. The latest GPA Model 416-8C ferrite magnet has Qts = 0.22. Two 4" diameter ports from 3.2" - 4.45" long support 32Hz - 40Hz tuning.
======

THE BIG PICTURE: For low frequencies up to about 200Hz, room interaction from the floor and walls will have a significant affect on the bass SPL shape. Hence, the flatest in-room SPL often comes from a "bass-shelf" cabinet alignment where the cabinet+port are tuned for a downward sloping SPL which complements the rising wall gain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.