L-Shape Bassreflex - some essential questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I'm quite new to speaker building; I did some projects based on existing plans. Now I'd like to modify one of the designs, to replace a standard rounded (plastic tube) bass-reflex with L-Shaped rectangular one. So, I've done some calculations in WinISD, got the required bass-reflex length.
  1. Shall the space used for the bass-reflex counted towards total box volume or not?
  2. What is the proper way to measure L-Shaped bass-reflex length (outer, inner edge or its average)?
  3. Shall the corner(s) be rounded?
  4. Shall be the bass reflex sound-insulated? Normal bass-reflexes has minimum contact with the chassis, but the L-shape bass-reflex is part of the chassis walls.

Thanks for any help or links where to find more about L-Shaped bass-reflexes.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Whether or not there are various effects depends on the size of the part in question. When the port is small compared to a wavelength at some frequency, the bend does nothing to the port, apart from affecting its overall resistance. On the other hand, high frequencies may bounce off the bend in more specific ways.

Similarly, the effect on where you place the inner end of the port depends on box modes and the wavelength in question.

To be honest, just try it and measure the effect and adjust if necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.