Mounting speakers help in a narrow room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I have a room issue whereby I can't figure out how the best way to fix my speakers.

The room is 3.5M (11.5') wide by 5.5M (18') long and the speakers are positioned at the far end of the narrow side of the room. I have a pair of JBL Aquarius 1s that pair very nicely with a redesigned Dynaco Stereo 35. Unfortunately, the room is so narrow that placing a sofa in the room necessitates putting it right up against the speaker.

I have tried a variety of stands but there isn't anything that is quite wide enough for the Aquarians (?); while building ones myself is possible, I find that moving the speakers slightly above the height of the sofa looks strange. As well, stands that would fit the speakers must be very massive themselves as the speakers weigh nearly 25 Kilos each.

My last option before selling the JBLs (very reluctantly) and building something new that could perhaps work in the corners, would be to try and wall mount the large and heavy speakers. The wall is of stone so I am not worried about the weight, mainly I am worried about the appearance and sound of putting speakers on the wall. Does anyone have experience with this on the forum or should I be putting my energy into something new and different all together?

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

• jbl.jpg
    jbl.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Sounds like you should have the speakers mounted just a bit off the floor, not high up. Such stands could be easier to make and the speakers will be less obtrusive. Some folk, not all, report superior results when speakers are mounted on very solid base, itself sitting on the floor.

Where can I get a stand for large floor speakers so that they are level with my ears when listening? - Quora

the speaker should be at tweeter level height same as ear level ... for my case ... just manage to get whatever i could found from my local supermarket store ... this is definitely not the correct stuff to adjust the speaker height

Attachments

• 41842808_1818660588189893_375959378139807744_n.jpg
    41842808_1818660588189893_375959378139807744_n.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 118
My last option . . . would be to try and wall mount the large and heavy speakers. The wall is of stone so I am not worried about the weight, mainly I am worried about the appearance and sound of putting speakers on the wall. Does anyone have experience with this . . . ?

I have taken the liberty of emphasising your question about wall mounting large and heavy speakers. Hope this will be helpful in terms of responses.

Offtopic, sorry...

Wasn't familiar with these, untill now.

Interesting titbit in the writeup over on AudioHeritage:
The idea of a widely-dispersed, stereo soundstage had been pioneered by JBL in its revolutionary Ranger designs (i.e. the Paragon, Metregon and Minigon). However, these designs required a large, curved, dispersion panel with unique requirements in enclosure size and geometry that limited their application. There was a need for a more flexible and inexpensive approach. Concomitant with this, was a brief vogue for non directional speakers that developed in the mid sixties.

So, somebody might want to remind Bose of the "brief" part..... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.