Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2019, 09:26 PM   #1
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Default Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?

I've been on a quest to build my own own reference monitor. In that journey I've come to know the JBL m2. Maybe its highly prized for its flat response but all I see is another 2-way. There are already flat two ways on the market. So not sure what the hype would be around this speaker, beyond having accuracy and spl, making useful for far field as well as near field.
As a full-range solution if a 2 way that took care of sub bass, gets rid of another cross and thats cool. I've found a driver that could be used for the top

FaitalPRO HF146 - 1.4" Compression Driver

A woofer for the bottom can be found. The question is, how is a woofer that is going to be easily responsible from 30hz to ~1000hz going to behave? Lets say we are auditioning rap, edm, or some other deep bass reproduction that causes high woofer excursion, how is the top range of that speaker going to sound? It seems to me a 3 way is almost always better, but I'm not the finally say, the results are, anyone have a strong opinion on this?
Old 3rd March 2019, 09:36 PM   #2
jkrokenberger is offline jkrokenberger  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a set of Dynaco A-50's. They are 2-way with a dome tweeter and 2 10" woofers. They are excellent all around, even when driven hard. So, yes it can and has been done. The woofers are low mass/hi-efficiency and garner the low end extension from cone area and enclosure design.
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:33 PM   #3
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrokenberger View Post
yes it can and has been done.
The Dyna speakers are really good, but they do roll off in the top octave.
Angling them inward can help with this.
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:34 PM   #4
tommus is offline tommus  United States
diyAudio Member

what is "high SPL" for your application? (at 30hz especially)

Last edited by tommus; 3rd March 2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:44 AM   #5
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

~110db? maybe 114db? from 1 meter away. I can't find a frequency chart on the Dynaco A-50's but, full range for my application will be linear down to 30hz.
Old 4th March 2019, 01:50 AM   #6
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If it needs to be high efficiency then it's going to be pretty big.

Does it need to be high efficiency or just able to hit 114dB @ 30Hz, in what I'm assuming is 4pi radiation.

So essentially you want to hit 120dB at 30Hz at one meter before any diffraction and cabinet effects come into it.
Old 4th March 2019, 02:10 AM   #7
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dr Earl Geddes, a member here, has designed and use to sell such beasts.

GedLee LLC

GedLee LLC

GedLee LLC
Old 4th March 2019, 03:00 AM   #8
conanski is offline conanski  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
The question is, how is a woofer that is going to be easily responsible from 30hz to ~1000hz going to behave? Lets say we are auditioning rap, edm, or some other deep bass reproduction that causes high woofer excursion, how is the top range of that speaker going to sound?
Lousy. You need a 3 way.
Old 4th March 2019, 03:36 AM   #9
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

eh, my double 15's would run 30-750hz, scrolled active crossover up to 1khz when trying to crack the windows...........

The double 15's had shorting rings though, it helped.
Old 4th March 2019, 03:52 AM   #10
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

My horn system is much like what you are describing. I never would have expected a sub driver to cover up to 500hz, but it does nicely. The horn is very high sensitivity, but the woofer obviously is not. You get SET magic up top with real power down low. I love electronic music. Saw James Blake live and it's great fun to recreate the experience in my listening room, albeit with much better bass quality than live.

the "SPIEKER" my almost 20 year prototype finally done

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!