Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

This is my latest creation and a little inspired by the TH4001. it is also intended to be used in a 2-way or 2.5-way system:

drba_radial_01.JPG drba_radial_02.JPG drba_radial_03.JPG
View attachment drba_radial_001.zip

Here i used the HVdiff algorithm and the construction wave fronts as horn wall. It will be described in more detail at a certain time on my homepage.

And you thought that sound about right?? Or maybe "cool"? :-D

It never ends....

//
I wish I could remember who it was and where it was, they said it in a very authoritative manner, you know, like a lot of people on these forums, I really should have asked them what they meant at the time. I presume he was referring to the directionality, and it sounded rightish, and very cool, I thought I'd mention it here on this horny thread, what do you think?

Docali: very nice effort with the Th! Have you done modifications to the original profile?

Thanks. Actually, I do not think that the profiles are related. My approach is based or inspired by JMLC who proposed an algorithm of adding section wise new conical horns to fulfill the underlying expansion function. I programmed this from scratch analytically and do not use any approximation formulas. The code is quite complex - the math not. The construction wave front is numerically integrated by infinitesimal truncated cones. I repeat it: the assumed wave front is a construction wave front! But it should be similar to the wave front you would see with Hornresp.

Once you leave the round form new possibilities open up. So, my previously presented HVdiff algorithm and the progressive expansion T hypex horns can be used. This is only one example what is possible.

What you see in the pictures would be the inlay of the resulting shape and it would be an ideal candidate to do this with wood.

Because they are proved to translate well and are kind of standard ( and obviously they sound good in the room they are used in).
That said in the last ten years a lot of big studios went down or changed owners ( in France) and this kind of monitors were either demantled either changed for the flavour of the day.
We all know that newer is better. :rolleyes:

Yep, waveguide-driver based monitor like M2 in the SSL/Neve studios is extremely rare, while ATC/Genelec are popular. Augspurger and Ocean Way are the serious contenders, though. I’m pretty sure that Tom Hidley still keeps installing Kinoshita for his new rooms.

I think you’re right. The primary reason is the classic bi radial mains have been proved to be good. But I’m guessing the other reason is probably the mains are becoming more like ornaments to impress clients and record company’s executive these days, and the visual impact is as important as the sound.

It’s sad that Kii can’t still succeed in professional field, I thought it is better than Barefoot than I have had, but my impression is not based on direct comparison…

BTW, this is interesting:
Battery Lane Music, Nashville, Tenn Main monitors are vintage Altec 515Gs with TAD 2001 tweeters.

The Class of 2019

Sometimes, a little background info can be pretty interesting (this does not apply to the occasional curmudgeon, of course).

Attachments

• Allen Sides_Tape-Op-106.pdf
    931.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Allen Sides.jpg
    Allen Sides.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 360
  • Allen Sides_Tape-Op-Bonus.pdf
    308.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited: