Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Yes, these were made by Franck Delbauve (I believe he lives in Belgium).
The mouth is 1.2m² (1.10 * 1.10), similar depth; 1.12m to the driver's exit, with a round adapter. Cut off is 150Hz, but could be lowered by using a longer throat adapter.

If you search "Delbauve Pavillon melaudia.net", you'll find lots of info in French, so you might want to use google tanslate.

The same guy also made the wooden JMLC-IWATA horns for the European Triode Festival 2013.

Speaker1.jpg

Sytsem1.jpg

attachment.php
Hello ,
I am in France

Franck

Nice, but I was never fully convinced by their brutally "cut" sides... surely such a drastic mutilation must affect performance?

The side walls open faster > improved horizontal coverage.
Extended loading is provided by the top/bottom walls.
Especially in the vertical plane the Guigue horns are pretty much CD.

Attachments

• Guigue Response Plots.jpg
    Guigue Response Plots.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho - revisited

A few posts back there was a "jericho" horn provided by @docali that loaded very low but had a few issues. Speculation was it might be possible to "clean up" some of the diffraction and impedance issues.

These are the simulation results for that horn before modifications. The green surface is provided as the inner horn surface and will be identical in both.

Attachments

• drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@6KHz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@6KHz.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 36
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@3K5Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@3K5Hz.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 34
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@1K5Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@1K5Hz.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 37
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@500Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@500Hz.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 36
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@200Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-Hfield@200Hz.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 57
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-HorzPolarCurves.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-HorzPolarCurves.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 56
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-HorzPolarCont.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-HorzPolarCont.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 45
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-RadImp.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-RadImp.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 52
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-3Dview.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-3Dview.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho - modified

This is "jericho" after some modifications.

The green surface is exactly the same as before. The teal surface is an additional curve#1 to take the mouth exit from 45deg to 90deg. The grey continuation is curve #2 to create the roll over. The same scale is used in the pre/post graphs.

Making the mouth larger improves the impedance match and the round over reduces the diffraction.

Attachments

• drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Xsection.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Xsection.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 63
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_ROb2-3Dview.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_ROb2-3Dview.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 69
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-RO2b-RadImp.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho-RO2b-RadImp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 71
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-HorzPolarCont.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-HorzPolarCont.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 63
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-HorzPolarCurves.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-HorzPolarCurves.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 72
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@6KHz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@6KHz.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 37
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@3K5Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@3K5Hz.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@1K5Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@1K5Hz.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 45
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@500Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@500Hz.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 46
  • drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@200Hz.jpg
    drba_swh_147_T07_Jericho_RO2b-Hfield@200Hz.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 75
This is "jericho" after some modifications.

The green surface is exactly the same as before. The teal surface is an additional curve#1 to take the mouth exit from 45deg to 90deg. The grey continuation is curve #2 to create the roll over. The same scale is used in the pre/post graphs.

Making the mouth larger improves the impedance match and the round over reduces the diffraction.

!!!!!!!!!! *the biggest smiley face*!!!!!!!

I understand the idea to give an artist a general picture and let them use their own cognition to fill in the details, which allows their genius to flow ;)

This is a staple in the collection, the one horn that strives to do all the things that I wanted it to do performance wise.

There are still several horns I am interested in seeing, Shark 45/RA45 vs JMLC HVDiff no more than 40" wide.

And then I would really appreciate, like a "master piece" horn, like the horn that you and Docali would want to be the head piece, given, you know the pieces of the hardware, (AE 18H+>15M>Axi2050) your choice of xover point and profile.

I understand the idea to give an artist a general picture and let them use their own cognition to fill in the details, which allows their genius to flow ;)

This is a staple in the collection, the one horn that strives to do all the things that I wanted it to do performance wise.

There are still several horns I am interested in seeing, Shark 45/RA45 vs JMLC HVDiff no more than 40" wide.

And then I would really appreciate, like a "master piece" horn, like the horn that you and Docali would want to be the head piece, given, you know the pieces of the hardware, (AE 18H+>15M>Axi2050) your choice of xover point and profile.

For you application it seems that only constant T horns fulfill your requirement for low loading. Btw, I have just seen here a horn claiming to load below 300 Hz and was only about 33cm long. This is highly questionable in my eyes.

Here is a similar horn where Jericho meets Shark:

drba_Jericho_meets_Shakr_01.JPG
View attachment drba_SWH147_SF138_Jericho_meets_Shark.zip

For you application it seems that only constant T horns fulfill your requirement for low loading. Btw, I have just seen here a horn claiming to load below 300 Hz and was only about 33cm long. This is highly questionable in my eyes.

Here is a similar horn where Jericho meets Shark:

View attachment 798593
View attachment 798594

To be honest, several of the horns you designed around the time of the first shark, are pretty excellent designs and considering how well the lip treatment has treated the Jericho as a truncated mouth, can only expect great things.
I think this model is a blend of several of the approaches we've tried, it looks like a contender for a 200hz xover, very excited to see how it simulates!

Speaking of Jericho horns, about 2 months ago I wrote a short review about the Danley J1s. Last week, in the same club, I was dissapointed with the muddy, undefined (sub)bass in close proximity of the 16x TH118 and 2x TH812 lined-up along the stage, below the Jericho 1's.
I attributed this to the DJ, who, at that moment played a heavy bass track, probably also with the bass knob turned all the way to the right.

Last night I went to a collective birtday party of 3 friends who had rented out a room in an alternative club. Some well known djs had to make do with 2 Behringer Eurolive tops and no subs... an abomination.
After the joint closed (only an hour after I got there) we decided to go to another place. Little did I know I was in for a bit of surprise.

It appeared, the (small) club got a Danley Pure Groove 4-point system last month, consisting of 4x SH50 and 2x TH118, complemented with MC2 Audio gear.
There are also ATC SCM45A monitors, a handmade Alpha Recordings System Model 9900 rotary mixer, a Roland Space Echo and an Avalon 747 /compressor equalizer amongst other esoteric bits of equipment in the DJ booth.

The dj (couple) played a wide variety of music: hip hop, Latin, disco, new wave, etc.
So what did the 4-point Danley system sound like? Like gigantic quadrophonic high-end headphones.
It's by far the best Danley Pure Groove system I've heard and among the best club systems I know.
However, I am still not 100% convinced I could live with (2 instead of 4) Synergies/MEHs at home.
The ultra transparent and highly directive rendition presumably takes some time getting used to, but it definitely draws you into the music.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting report. Thanks!

FWIW, at one point Tom offered to let me borrow a pair of SH50 to try at home and compare to my Altec rig. Tom would like the SH50 to be sold in the Hi-Fi market, but the business model currently isn't right. The loan never happened (I moved), which is too bad. From the demos I've heard, I think I would have quite liked the SH50 as home Hi-Fi.