Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

OK, what type of distortion is when drivers are emanating same/similar frequencies from different areas of the diaphragm?

Yes, but the point is to be able to stiffen a much larger area of the diaphragm to a higher frequency before it's no longer pistonic to keep from the above happening, or at least much reduced.

GM

What is known is that linear phenomena such as diffraction becomes more audible at higher SPLs which can also be heard as "dynamic contrast" and which, based on my research, is more likely to be the issue.

Wheres the data that shows that increases in diffraction results in the higher contrast of dynamics?
I'm starting to think the lack of IMD within a system is a strong factor for the subject since a driver has such small excursion vs output, within a proper horn system...

http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/AES06Gedlee_ll.pdf

I'm starting to think the lack of IMD within a system is a strong factor for the subject since a driver has such small excursion vs output, within a proper horn system...

The lack of nonlinear distortion is usually leading to lower subjective loudness perception - until you try to talk to the one sitting next to you ….. ;)

Regards

Charles

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wheres the data that shows that increases in diffraction results in the higher contrast of dynamics?

This is one of the reason you see inwall monitors in big control rooms ( low diffraction, second main reason is the gain in low end as situation about BSC is inverse, you gain up to 6db for low end from 200hz approximately) and multiway system ( lower imd amongst other).
The one in the link below is a 4 way, all Tad drivers ( 2x15"+ 2x12"+ TH+ Et) i can't remember the xover points but the Et was used to get rid of the bad breakup of the 2" cd.
The low end is mono iirc. All driven by Bryston amps and BSS active filtering ( last time i visited the place it may have changed since). The CR is HUGE and the picture doesn't render the space well ( the desk is almost 5meter width).

Google Image Result for https://www.innamoramento.net/fichiers/galeries/annuaire/65183.jpg

The sound is not bad and can be very LOUD but it is more impressive looking than it sounded good to me.
The main issue being the SSL 9000j which make comb filter heaven at listening position.

Last edited:
Dessenting View

1) Size is a principal determinant of a compression drivers cost, and output capacity at its low frequency bound. Also in this region, the suspension, has modes of its own.

2) The diameter of the moving sub-system is not the sole nor principal determinant of its high frequency response. Geometry and material(s) used, are far more important. WHG

3) To the exclusion of 1) above, equivalent HF performance may be achieved using diaphragm diameters ranging from 1.5" to 5".

WHG

In that case, I can attest that prosound oriented speakers in general and Altec/GPA components in various TL alignments in particular meets this with many dBs to spare.

GM

Now you got me interested in TL's....I've found some reading but haven't found anything that talks about about width of the transmission line, just length.

How does TL fair against ported and sealed? Should I even consider it for this project?

This video fails to tell you the primary design concern that sets TL's apart from other speakers. The design is usually of duct length that is a Quarter of the wavelength of the fundamental frequency of the drive unit used. This is because, AT that length, sound comes out in phase,(the same direction to) with that from the front. There are two major concerns to the smoothness and operation of a TL, 1) The line has to be damped to eliminate/absorb the 5th Harmonic resonance and 2 )The, 3rd Harmonic resonances from the driver. These occur at 5 times the fundamental and 3 times the fundamental. or, (at 20Hz) 100Hz and 60Hz respectively. The trick is to design the bass chamber to be one fifth of the wavelength distance so that this is "driven out" before the system gets to work. Line the first half of the TL and Fill the last half with BAF wadding or contoured Acoustic foam. It is important to make the line slightly longer than required to accommodate "End Correction" this is where the wavelength transmitted down the duct is back reflected from the port mouth and partial cancellation takes place. It has been found that this can limit the driver response to 30Hz bottom end. A TL without damping is a Labyrinth and these can overhang and colour the sound. Bass control is usually tight and well defined. It is possible to lower a drivers free air resonance to approx. 5% which is quite large .Look out for The Bailey and The Clark Designs from the 1970s and A.R. Bailey's Wireless World design from 1965.Wilslow Audio in UK do upgrades for Cambridge R50 crossover networks with super new capacitors. Other Designs were PRO9 TL and PRO10 TL, IMF TLS 50 and 80 and Loughborough Sound Monitors. Cambridge Audio R50 and R40 designs and Nightingale NM1.
Pulled this off a youtube video....

Now you got me interested in TL's....I've found some reading but haven't found anything that talks about about width of the transmission line, just length.

How does TL fair against ported and sealed?

Should I even consider it for this project?

Absorb all on this site and you too will be an expert: Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Depends on the type, but is generally superior to vented and can be superior to sealed, though no 'free lunch', you pay in [much] larger cabs.

MLTL might could be used if ported, max flat impedance TL if sealed.

GM

Last edited:
So by chance, I'm reading about the WESTMINSTER ROYAL....the first thought that came to mind was that when we discussed using a compression driver within a coaxial woofer....many people spoke of modulation introduced by the moving woofer/faux horn...yet the Tannoys are highly regarded... whats the deal?