Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Less is always less = some energy is dissipated, forcing a higher distortion out of the system below the horns and the relatively abrupt tonal discontinuity through the XO BW, though short WGs to bridge this gap helps somewhat. An 1/8 horn, 800 Hz WG is only ~2 1/8" deep.

GM

This might help.

Thanks! That's very interesting. It's unfortunate that no other horn flare types are given. Since we are generally using flares that flare completely to perpendicular in order to reduce mouth diffraction, the examples given are only helpful to illustrate my point if you visualize the examples as a section of the final horn. It seems though that my theory holds pretty well and that the diameter where wall angle predicts radiation is about equal to double the wavelength.

Refraction vs. Diffraction

This might help.

If you want to control HF radiation pattern, use an acoustic lens. This has been done before. See [1] Koch & Harvey and [2/5] Frayne & Locanthi for the history and details.

At the lower frequency bound, horn size rules for both driver loading and pattern control. The horn/lens becomes acoustically transparent when wave length >> horn and lens size.

With the advent if 3-D printing, use of an acoustic lens for this purpose has recently been revisited.

The GRIN design [6] implements the notion of a gradient index of refraction that permits a smooth impedance transformation as the wave front enters and then exits the lens domain.

[7] Demonstrates a 3-D implementation using a different approach. And there are others as well. WHG

Attachments

• LENS-JAS000471.pdf
    823.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 3DPAL.pdf
    470.4 KB · Views: 87
  • GRIPP.pdf
    319.3 KB · Views: 83
  • LENS-SMPTEJ63-85.pdf
    230 KB · Views: 62
  • LENS-SMPTEJ63-84.pdf
    155.9 KB · Views: 59
  • LENS-SMPTEJ63-83.pdf
    221.3 KB · Views: 60
  • LENS-SMPTEJ63-82.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
This might help.

What is very strange for the conical horn that the beaming has a maximum at a certain frequency. Can someone confirm this? If so it would make the bahavior of this horn quite unpredictable as it might be dependent from the paramters of the horn.
con_beam_1.JPG

I've owned Olsen's book for nearly 40 years. I have found that it is filled with errors. Don Keele commented on this once when he found that a horn that he measured didn't look any like what Olsen said it should. I have come to believe that much of what Olsen shows is based on his hypothesis of how things should work and not on actual measurements. So I would take those drawings with a bill pill of suspicion.

The Models We Use ...

There's a lot of that going around, people sometimes can't seem to separate the subjective from the objective.

… always bare imperfections. The unknowing sometimes drive nails with a ballpeen hammer, and then observe the bent nails in amazement. Olson's original book is circa 1940, and there are errors in some of the math presented their as well. See attached file containing results form a superior model produced by John Sheerin.

WHG

Attachments

• HornDirectivity.pdf
    822.1 KB · Views: 110
Shoot for the stars land on the moon, they say. No different than the title of this thread I supposed. Stay aggressive, remain humble.
I seem to have reached another cross roads with Acoustic Elegance, it would be great to get a response to one of my messages, they've had my 1400 dollars for how long now? They also have a new copper phase plug coming out that looks very classy that I might want to upgrade to but in order to make that happen I have to actually have some dialogue...
On facebook but you are notified when someone views your messages, they are reading my message but saying nothing, thats discouraging.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Camplo,
Keep faith it'll probably resolve in soon future. AE seems to be a relatively small company and as they have good reputation orders must keep on growing making production slow.
This kind of long delay already happened to them in the past but they always delivered the orders.
This doesn't explain the communication issues thoug.
About the phase plug maybe they are still in development phase? This is always a double edged sword when you make public announcement about things before being able to fully delivers the goods: it will attract potential customers but if you have issues (even minor) about production then customers are not happy.
Not simple to run a business sometimes.

Shoot for the stars land on the moon, they say. No different than the title of this thread I supposed. Stay aggressive, remain humble.
I seem to have reached another cross roads with Acoustic Elegance, it would be great to get a response to one of my messages, they've had my 1400 dollars for how long now? They also have a new copper phase plug coming out that looks very classy that I might want to upgrade to but in order to make that happen I have to actually have some dialogue...
On facebook but you are notified when someone views your messages, they are reading my message but saying nothing, thats discouraging.

I would have put my elsewhere, AE have an awful reputation as far as
Long delivery times are concerned. You could have been listening to music ages ago!

JBL 2216Nd is the first driver to come to mind. AE is now in the same price range.

Maybe the new 18 Sound 15NTLW3500. Similar concept.

There are also some drivers from BMS and Oberton that look suitable. My 15N850 sounds surprisingly good up to 1k.

Beyma has some drivers dedicated to the studio but the motors aren't as advanced as the drivers listed above.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 15ntlw3500 still seems to be vapourware. I have only seen pricing for its smaller brother so far which doesn't have parameters to go low unfortunately.

Regards

Charles

Edit: I was wrong, Lean Business seems to have it. But at 319 GBP it is not that much cheaper than a 2216nd.

Last edited:
We did discuss woofers, thoroughly enough, for me to say that I personally want AE drivers. The jbl 2216 has a higher MMS then I wanted handling the midrange. Whether you operate by that design philosophy is another story...AE drivers do a lot of things right, they are intelligently designed, yet I'm sure there are other brands than can fit the bill.

The 15ntlw3500 is interesting, but not exactly cheap.
A more affordable and very capable contender is 18Sound's own 15W750.

Attachments

• 18S 15W750, measured at 20 cm after calibration SPL 95 dB.jpg
    18S 15W750, measured at 20 cm after calibration SPL 95 dB.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 18 S 15W750 in room 1.2m of the ground, 2m from the walls.jpg
    18 S 15W750 in room 1.2m of the ground, 2m from the walls.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 459
  • 18 S 15W750 in room 1.2m of the ground, 2m from the walls, measured at 1m.jpg
    18 S 15W750 in room 1.2m of the ground, 2m from the walls, measured at 1m.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 456
  • 18 S 15W750 in room 1.2m of the ground, 2m from the walls, measured at 1m and 105dB.jpg
    18 S 15W750 in room 1.2m of the ground, 2m from the walls, measured at 1m and 105dB.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 449