Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

In the following drawing it's only about 1/5 of hyperbola, the rest is clothoid. In the rendering in will be a bit more.

AllenB: Total depth of the horn/WG, coverage angle and this hyperbola ratio is given. From that the shape is calculated. The clothoid is just scaled to be tangent to a baffle.

Attachments

• curv_mismatch.png
    curv_mismatch.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 346
  • oswg-d-stl.JPG
    oswg-d-stl.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
That's right. 1/3 to 1/2 of hyperbola give pretty good results. Make it less, it will beam more, make it more, all the mouth related issues will come up.

Ok, that's less than I expected, my recollection is that D.B. Keele recommended around 1/3 for the mouth termination and this seems to have become traditional.
The optimisation of the available space between "horn" and "transition" is a problem that I recently started to think about.
It did seem that if the space constraints are not severe then extra transition would be beneficial.
Your simulation would seem to support that idea, thank you for the data.
For a 2 way speaker there is a complication that the woofer separation must not increase too much.
I think I need to blend the woofer into the wave-guide, so it won't be completely axisymmetric

Best wishes
David

In fact clothoid is not curved much...continues in almost conical shape for a while..

Yes, I had essentially the same observation but cross posted after you and didn't notice until after the edit window.

I had planned to be lazy and just have a simple radius but your work makes me rethink, the clothoid is not only theoretically better but probably makes a practical difference too.
Do you have a comparison of a hyperbola terminated with a radius versus the clothoid?

Best wishes
David

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Woaw... another low efficiency design!
You lost my interest... :D

No phones at social events? (I'm assuming your way younger than me) Man you made my day! I'm deseparate to see youth not communicate old way this days.
You just brought hope to me. Thank you.

Last edited: