Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Well, you said it was "loud" and k2 is below 1% and the higher order harmonics are even lower.

If the frist squiggle line is k2, then it's not below 1%, it at about -35dB, so around 1.8% actually. Now that doesn't mean it's bad because we don't know the actual level..

Here is a plot of a HF146 on XT1464 with correctly marked levels:
attachment.php

That is at about -40dB at 105dB, which is about 1% even down to 500Hz. That is not to shabby for home usage I'd say.

Last edited:
Why do you want an 8 ohm ?
I always choose a 16 ohm, because I know I have to pad down a CD to mate with whatever drivers are used below, even at 16 ohms.

(not an expert so more advice is alway welcome!)

The LF is a 2226h in a 120-130L BR tuned around 38hz. Doing the CAD design at the moment and waiting for the LF delivery (in like a month...).

I though that its better to keep Ohms to 8 as its the easiest for most apms to drive (including a little tube for example), I might be wrong thought.

Cen you elaborate on the pat down? Will some attenuation get the impedance to half?
thanks

Last edited:
If the frist squiggle line is k2, then it's not below 1%, it at about -35dB, so around 1.8% actually. Now that doesn't mean it's bad because we don't know the actual level..

You have to look at the HD scale when you interpret that graph.

That is at about -40dB at 105dB, which is about 1% even down to 500Hz. That is not to shabby for home usage I'd say.

No - that is not too bad and it is actually the driver that I am using. Although the HF144 should be a little better in this respect according to what I have read. But the HF146 is a bit more linear from the frequency response POV.

Regards

Charles

I love this driver, especially the 4592 dedicated mid driver. In the right horn and well designed crossover, it is super smooth and has incredible midrange detail and clarity.

My comments wrt the BMS were a bit harsh.
For lower SPLs at home, the reported distortion is problably less problematic.

I mostly buy drivers with an excellent reputation among pro users.

While I have little doubt the DCX464 will beat the BMS coaxials, it's still a (compromised) product developed with specific PA applications in mind, for which high output and portability are major design considerations.

This BI-AMPED LINE ARRAY 1600W + 640W - 147 DB SPL (PEAK) is such a product:

Myra-214L-side.jpg

Last edited:
I though that its better to keep Ohms to 8 as its the easiest for most amps to drive (including a little tube for example)

SETs and other low power tube amps like higher impedances.
You'll need KT88s and similar heavyweights to breath life into typical PA woofers such as the 2226.

A 15PR400 is the better option for low power tube amps.

Last edited:
But i've never read that the treble distortion is caused by the waves diffraction in the gap between the throat and the phase plug, and that issue is unavoidable... is my assertion right ?

This is certainly true with vintage drivers with Altec finally addressing it somewhat with the Tangerine phase plug, showing the biggest improvement with its 1.4" 299A, though even the 1" 802-8G is noticeably 'sweeter' up top according to those folks with far better HF hearing than me. Note that damping with 4/0 stainless steel wool in the front chamber helps too.

GM

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@silverprout

If I understand the following quote, the wavefront is physically distorted. It might not be possible to fix.

gedlee said:
What the problem is with coax is that the two diaphragms see each other and the interaction at crossover creates a mess in the throat in a critical frequency band. I had suspected that this would be the case when I saw the design but I was convinced to test it anyways. Sure enough, the polar response at crossover is a mess with no hope that it can be corrected with any form of electronics. The concept is flawed - sorry.

This is certainly true with vintage drivers with Altec finally addressing it somewhat with the Tangerine phase plug, showing the biggest improvement with its 1.4" 299A, though even the 1" 802-8G is noticeably 'sweeter' up top according to those folks with far better HF hearing than me. Note that damping with 4/0 stainless steel wool in the front chamber helps too.
GM

The whool is reflecting the HF waves, and the HF wavelengths seems to be shorter than the phase plug (sharp angled) slots, no ?

@silverprout
If I understand the following quote, the wavefront is physically distorted. It might not be possible to fix.

It should depends of the wavefront frequency that you are talking about, LF frequencies are not so easy to distort ;)

The whool is reflecting the HF waves, and the HF wavelengths seems to be shorter than the phase plug (sharp angled) slots, no ?

It should depends of the wavefront frequency that you are talking about, LF frequencies are not so easy to distort ;)

These LF are not the wavelengths we're dealing with here.

The issues referred to are dependent on:
- SPL
- type of signal > music with dense/complex midrange is problematic.

Last edited: