Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Anybody recognize the chair in the background?

6796ddbb.jpg

It’s PK22 by Paul Kjærholm.

It's indeed Kjærholm's PK22 Wicker Chair.

OT, another TAD clone.
This time a pair of Radian 651PB-8 drivers are mounted to the TAD TH-4001 clones and woofers are Beyma 15B100R-GH in 170 bass reflex cabinets.

Here's a 4K video.

Attachments

• Large format 2-way studio monitors ( TAD horn clone + Radian 950PB + Beyma 15 )_1.jpg
    Large format 2-way studio monitors ( TAD horn clone + Radian 950PB + Beyma 15 )_1.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Still waiting on my AE woofers btw. Hes gotten a **** ton of orders right before the price hike. I just so happened to order on the day before the change, though I didn't notice a change on the website until sometime after.....regardless...I wait. I want to email and see where hes at in production and then again I don't want to agitate the man who has 1400 dollars of my money in his hands =D, he might spit in my food before he serves it or something. Its been over a month now....not complaining.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
So the Faital Pro 15PR400 driver seems like one of the drivers of choice for a good 2-way solution?

I built a large MTM styled cabinet which is housing 2x beyma 15g40 and a beyma 12cxa400nd on each side. All sealed (due not not understanding how to calculate best porting solution for the bass drivers). With eq, the performance subjectively seemed 'OK', but the coaxial driver doesn't give that really 'open' sound that I was hoping for. Tested xo between woofers and co-axial between 120hz-300hz (all active using najda dsp).

Anyway, have recently discovered I can get access to the faital 15pr400 drivers at a relatively good price within Australia, so am considering replacing the beyma 15g40 for better bass/mid-bass performance. Also at same figuring out best porting solution for the bass as well.

Then replacing the beyma 12cxa400nd with a faital hf driver (not sure which model best) in a large-ish horn. I'm trying to read up 'best' choice between 1", 1.4" and 2" and what matching horn...

My apologies if I'm not being technical enough!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
What's special about the HF1440? It's frequency plot doesn't look that balanced compared to something like the HF10AK ?

Agree for crossing below 300hz, no point changing... but what sonic benefits would I experience if I was able to cross higher.. say 1-1.5khz? Much larger surface area doing midbass.. should get a 'bigger' sound? I tried running the beyma 15g40 higher (ie. 800-1000hz), but the midbass definition/clarity was compromised (to my ears). Moving to the 15PR400 would allow for this...

Hi Tuyen

Maybe you have given up too early with your combination. What is it about the sound that you don't like ? Keep in mind that definitely none of your drivers is a bad one. All of them are used in studio monitors, which is not a full guarantee but at least some indicator of quality.

How did you do the crossover ?

Regards

Charles

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sorry in advance for my very completely subjective observations.

I was expecting a more 'open' or perhaps 'bigger' sound. Still 'clean' sound but no treble sparkle either. No doubting the build quality the Beyma drivers. I read on this thread previous that if driver MMS is > 100 then highest recommended cut would be ~500hz else clarity/resolution would suffer. Which makes sense as when I tried running the woofers around 600hz to 1000hz, the clarity/detail would suffer (even though datasheet of 15G40 states it has fr upto 1500hz and fr plot is flat-ish til there).

I tried various crossover frequencies (using Najda DSP). The bass xo point be around 200-300hz (12/18/24db cutoffs). The 12" coaxial would come in then and xo between the 12" woofer and the 2" hf cd around (1400-2000hz).

Agreed - the missing sparkle can be caused by narrow beamwidth. It can be re-gained with a supertweeter in this case.
The tweeter part of this coax has some humps in the lower part of its frequency response. Depending on how you set the tweeter level (by ear for instance) this might also result in a lack of highs. It is therefore advised to take proper care of these humps as well.

Regards

Charles

If the OB concept were the end to all loudspeaker concepts, it would dominate the market, I suppose.

Nearfield OBs have drawbacks that make them less than viable for general use. They would need to be given sufficient space, which doesn't align to general nearfield monitoring apps. They'd also be very poor at generating SPL for background music, or for multiple listeners.

So bad for a lot of reasons, but for an audiophile listening nearfield willing to jump through all those hoops they'll be not without their upsides too.

What's special about the HF1440? It's frequency plot doesn't look that balanced compared to something like the HF10AK ?

The plot looks exceptionally balanced for a large format driver.

HF10AK is a very good 1.75" dia driver, as is the HF108(R).
It's the usual trade-off, between top-end and midrange.
You might also consider the smaller 1.4" exit drivers (HF14.. series), like the one that Charles uses, for a 'best of both worlds solution'.

People often seem to ignore developments in diaphragm/suspension material, phase plugs etc.
Some large format drivers sound better than 1" exit drivers, even in the top octave.

Last edited:
If I were him I would open a new thread dealing with improving the one he has.
While it is definitley addictive to always try new concepts it would also be interesting to get the best sound out of the cool combo that he already has. I would also modify the box for bass-reflex which is even easier with a three-way topoligy because there would not be midrange contamination from the reflex holes like large two-ways can suffer from.

Regards

Charles

In that french thread there's an interesting notion on OBs. It's being considered as a short circuit.
The guy apparently chose OB for his basement, because it provides the best solution for some severe in-room anomalies.

Charles, completely agree with your statement on tuyen's Beyma drivers.
It would be a waste of these quality drivers to just move on to something new.

BTW, this post wears the 'magic number' ;)

Last edited: