Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

You are absolutely right! The adapter is misaligned and not really planar but the horn itself is quite properly damped.

But also the XT1464 and the LTH142 are plactic bombs and have an unacceptable build quality.

Unacceptable in what way? Sure they show some sink marks near the reinforcing ribs on the rear, and the throat entrance on the XT1464 occasionally has some remnants of pins from the injection process.

If those bother you, then sanding and filling can give you flawless contours ( which only satisfy ones' OCD, with the smallest significant wavelength being approximately 5/8" ) and are not acoustically significant issues.

...the woofers are tilted inwards (or outwards ;))

Even a moneyless middle class dude like me is able to CNC and lasercut a Large woofer able to hold a large format compression driver with a Tractrix 300 in a coaxial configuration, why don't you put a decent membrane on your horn, please ?
It don't merit it :D ?

PS : i've got the same shoes since 9 years, they smell good, they look approximately good but the soles are scary...

Last edited:
Moi?
Ce n'est pas mon système de haut-parleur :)

You've forgot the form rules...:Pirate:
I've seen the photo, then minded that have a complete diaphragms kit that probably will have to go to the trashcan in few weeks, and then immediately mind that i would be a good idea to give these prototype parts to someone that needs it for a test.

I'm sometimes too generous on peacefull saturdays, 27in of long fibers paper :xmasman:

Last edited:
No I haven't, it was just a personal note ;)

Your ingenuity is impressive!

I came across the ETF 2010 horn shootout and thought: "such a big Onken could work for camplo."

IMG_4404-800x533.jpg

Last edited:
Quote that may shed a light:

"One might ask why on Earth someone would do such a thing. Yet rest assured that there’s a number of perfectly valid reasons. As Vladimir explains, in terms of absence of an enclosure, it is almost obvious. Internal standing waves, reflections which interfere with driver cones, resonances, energy storage, compression, time domain (phase) distortions and so on are gone when the box itself is gone. The sound is radiated solely with drivers and not with enclosure or its baffles. The other important feature of a loudspeaker without a baffle is lateral radiation absence of it. One doesn’t have nearby walls, floor or ceiling radiation, which leads to less room resonances. Hence it’s for the best to picture Bespoke P15 as a somewhat OB alike design, yet pushed even further in the box-free direction. The downside? Since there’s no pressure built-up in a resonant chamber, bass drivers have to be big and there’s no way around it.
Reflector Audio Bespoke P15 is different from typical OB products not only because it doesn’t sport a baffle at all. Its four 15″ long-throw (18 mm of excursion from peak to peak) paper cone woofers aligned in a four-leaved clover shape are inverted. Yes, their membranes fire directly on a wall in front of a listener and that’s very unusual. Here Vladimir chimed in again. He explained that the inversion itself was done in order to more closely approximate all four big drivers’ acoustic axis. The specific angles of said transducers were introduced to focus sound radiation in space at 1.2m in the Bespoke P15 case and from that point their coherence is achieved. These angles translate to increased sound efficiency radiation forward, which yields improved adaptation and an acoustic system performance in problematic listening rooms. This is what Roland Janevich’s patented invention is all about exactly.

The manufacturer’s suggestion is that a minimum distance from a speaker to a listening spot should be no less than 2.2 m. As far as space behind our Latvian dish goes, 0.5 m or more is advised."

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Interesting thread so far. Some great useful content on here.

I have a pair of budget horns coming - P audio ph-4220 (http://www.paudiothailand.com/uploads/pdf/products/PH-4220.pdf) and would like to ask if it will be suitable match with what seems like best 1” CD for treble extension and quality (at reasonable price) the Faital Pro HF10AK. I like airy and ‘open’ treble. Didn’t think many (if any) ‘PA’ CD tweeters could do this.

I was planning the above horn combo with a JBL 124a 12” woofer (similar spec to jbl 2203h - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2203h.pdf ) which I have sitting in a decent sized ported box unused. This unit can output some decent deep and quite punchy bass (in my small room).

Was thinking crossover around 1khz. I typically like to notch the 1khz area down on an eq so perhaps cut the jbl even lower.. not sure as yet.

Any thoughts most appreciated.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It's from an online hifi magazine, so I would suggest to read between the lines.

Just to be clear: personally, I am not excited about the concept.
However, it seems to have piqued the interest of my fellow countryman.
Thank you. I recall getting excited myself about the idea. What was it 10, 20 years ago I can't remember. Of course I thought about it and concluded that one doesn't escape the world that easily.

Interesting thread so far. Some great useful content on here.

I have a pair of budget horns coming - P audio ph-4220 (http://www.paudiothailand.com/uploads/pdf/products/PH-4220.pdf) and would like to ask if it will be suitable match with what seems like best 1” CD for treble extension and quality (at reasonable price) the Faital Pro HF10AK. I like airy and ‘open’ treble. Didn’t think many (if any) ‘PA’ CD tweeters could do this.

I was planning the above horn combo with a JBL 124a 12” woofer (similar spec to jbl 2203h - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2203h.pdf ) which I have sitting in a decent sized ported box unused. This unit can output some decent deep and quite punchy bass (in my small room).

Was thinking crossover around 1khz. I typically like to notch the 1khz area down on an eq so perhaps cut the jbl even lower.. not sure as yet.

Any thoughts most appreciated.

attachment.php

The 124A is a stunning woofer, provided the Alnico is recharged and the surrounds are fresh.
It's probably one of the best 12" woofers ever, as well as one of the best looking, if you ask me.
However, it's more akin to a hifi woofer than a pro woofer, which implies considerable attenuation of a horn/comp. driver.

You may consider an AMT or wg loaded dome tweeter.