Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Charles,

I agree, this almost has to be a Beyma (cone).
12 cone ribs, triple roll surround, same dustcap including glue edge, same distance from dustcap to first rib.

post-41711-0-13820000-1445184226.jpg

FWIW:

Linear elongation of the membrane X max: ± 9.00 mm

Value of the database, X max PP: 18.00 mm (2 * X max).

Last edited:
I know that there is a value of +-9mm in the data-sheet. But the voice-coil overhang is just 10mm in total. Beyma applies a generous percentage of the plate-thickness to that for the calculation of x-max. That might be good for a pure PA sub usage but used as a midwoofer in home listening I definitley regard them as +-5 mm x-max capable drivers.

Regards

Charles

I know that there is a value of +-9mm in the data-sheet. But the voice-coil overhang is just 10mm in total. Beyma applies a generous percentage of the plate-thickness to that for the calculation of x-max. That might be good for a pure PA sub usage but used as a midwoofer in home listening I definitley regard them as +-5 mm x-max capable drivers.

Regards

Charles

True!

The 15P80Nd is a very nice driver, but also quite expensive.
In my country (and for HiFi applications), I would buy a pair of 15FH500s instead of one 15P80Nd and still have some money left over.

I guess the Beyma would crush the old 2226H though.

Your are correct about the price (probably diminishing return) but I dont have the wife acceptance for two 16ohm woofers (for 8 parallel your were probably referring to).

Impression of prototype 2-way with Fatial Pro HF108R - 16 ohms mounted to LTH102 & Faital Pro 12PR320 - 8 ohms.

1 kHz is a critical XO point for a 1" driver. The Beyma CP380M takes it easily, even crossed slightly lower.
Other 1" drivers, like the BMS I have, don't sound so good around 1 Khz.
For 900Hz and below, I would always use a larger diaphram (>1.75").
Much depends on the horn though > in general, a bigger horn facilitates a lower xo point.

Last edited:
I have never heard a 15p80nd but I guess it will have a cleaner (in terms of breakup modes) midrange and better extension at its upper end due to the curvilinear cone. The efficiency is also a little higher. But that comes at the cost of low-end extension.

The 2226 is still a very well engineered driver with its shorting rings etc. I have two of these and I must say that the manufacturing quality is very high (so is the quality of my Beyma Woofers BTW). At the lower end it will most likely outperform a 15p80nd.

In terms of sheer low end power there will be a lot of drivers form Southern Europe that will beat a 2226. But that is most probably not very relevant for home-use - or is it ? If you compare datasheets you have to keep in mind that a lot a driver manufacturers measure distortion at one watt. JBL measures THD at 10% of its nominal power (at least for the 2226). A lot of drivers have THD levels at 1 Watt in the same order of magnitude than the 2226 at 60 Watts which speaks for the linearity of its motor.

Regards

Charles

Last edited: