Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

It does.

Beyma_15LX60V2_(Photo_1).jpg

The cone is different though, especially around the dustcap.
Moreover, despite its generous X-max, the Beyma wouldn't appreciate port tuning at 22kHz.

They pretend to use TAD, but that presumably applies to the comp. driver.
The only TAD woofer with a similar cone/dustcap is the TL-1602, but that one has a foam surround instead of a triple roll.

Last edited:
Are Faital CD better in terms of quality (for hifi I mean) than beyma for example? Something crossed around 1khz.

It depends on your application.
Beyma is on par with Faital quality wise.
Beyma also offers a few low priced large format cone drivers that are still very good, whereas Faital's portfolio is smaller and more aimed towards the mid and higher end of the market.

I like Beyma 1" compression drivers very much, but would prefer Faital for 3" diaphragm drivers.
The Faital 3" drivers are very hard to beat.
I'll check out the HF1440 shortly.

Last edited:
The CP-380/M, CP-385Nd have been benchmark 1" drivers for years.
They sound good, measure well, play lower than nearly any other modern 1" driver, without nasty sonic artefacts.

The newer drivers (CD-10Fe/N, CD-10Nd, CD-11Fe, CD-11Nd etc.) are also very good.
For hifi the difference is probably neglectable.

The CD-11Nd with PM4 polymer diaphragm is interesting:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 44mm Faital drivers would work crossed around 1kHz, especially the HF108 and HF10AK.

Last edited:
daemonsgr, I assume you are located in the UK?

This is probably the best driver currently available in Europe at €65 each, if you order a pair.
The only possible downside is the radial phase plug, that usually works better with Tractrix and similar horns.

Attachments

• Faital-Pro HF10RK_1.jpg
    Faital-Pro HF10RK_1.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Faital-Pro HF10RK_2.jpg
    Faital-Pro HF10RK_2.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 414
  • HF10RK-8_Pagina_1.jpg
    HF10RK-8_Pagina_1.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 196
  • HF10RK-8_Pagina_2.jpg
    HF10RK-8_Pagina_2.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
daemonsgr, I assume you are located in the UK?

This is probably the best driver currently available in Europe at €65 each, if you order a pair.
The only possible downside is the radial phase plug, that usually works better with Tractrix and similar horns.

wow! better than more expensive faital models?

does the same (bayma vs faital) follows the woofers? I was aiming for a 15p80nd (got some bad comments for the 2226h I had as a first choice) but do faital get better quality sound and response?
thanks

wow! better than more expensive faital models?

No, it's not better than the more expensive Faitals, but it's good especially at the current sale price > it's discontinued.
You won't find a similar Nd driver for that kind of money.

After my previous post I came across a recent DIY project on a French forum.
The thread starter did exactly what I would strongly discourage: mount the HF10RK to a diffraction horn (JBL 2370 clone).
Evidently, it didn't work out.

Last edited:
How can MTM be a favorable config when the woofers are spaced farther apart vs say a TMM. When ctc is of two drivers producing the same freq. range, and the wavelength becomes shorter than the distance of the ctc, are there not negative side affects?

Naturally yes, but it depends on several factors, i.e. the horn (preferably wide), the room in which the speakers will be used, placement in the room, listening distance/position etc. etc.

Along the thread many large format studio monitors in MTM configuration were posted.

- MTMs have a narrower dispersion which will reduce floor and ceiling bounce.
- The major drawback is bad vertical off-axis response (off-axis nulls).
- MTMs are best used on axis in the vertical plane, whereas a MT generally produces a wider vertical dispersion pattern.

Last edited:
does the same (bayma vs faital) follows the woofers? I was aiming for a 15p80nd (got some bad comments for the 2226h I had as a first choice) but do faital get better quality sound and response?
thanks

The 15P80Nd is a very nice driver, but also quite expensive.
In my country (and for HiFi applications), I would buy a pair of 15FH500s instead of one 15P80Nd and still have some money left over.

I guess the Beyma would crush the old 2226H though.

Last edited:
That might be an issue.
However, some time ago I went through a box with prototype Avantgarde horns, about 20 years old. Some of these were Nextel coated, others finished with glossy coatings. The Nextel coated horns were neither sticky nor scratched.

For what it's worth, most people I know prefer the sound of Nextel coated horns.

OK, don't remember who made the stuff I shot in the '60s, '70s down here in the Deep South, though thinking it was Atlanta's own Zac-Lac [the folks that created Richard Petty Racing Blue], just remember how messy and the PITA it was to do right. I searched for 'fur', 'fuzz', 'peach fuzz' paint to no avail.

Regardless, have wondered what type coating it is [do like the looks of it] and pretty sure I've never been exposed to Nextel coated horns/whatever, but if humidity affects it, won't work around here except indoors with a good A/C system.

GM

I didn't even know Nextel was already available in the 60s.
It seems likely the compound has improved throughout the years.
On the other hand, we've seen some badly damaged Nextel coated cabs from the 90s and 2000s.

I also like the looks, but not if it's all ragged, jagged and sticky :D

Last edited:
OK, don't remember who made the stuff I shot in the '60s, '70s down here in the Deep South, though thinking it was Atlanta's own Zac-Lac [the folks that created Richard Petty Racing Blue], just remember how messy and the PITA it was to do right. I searched for 'fur', 'fuzz', 'peach fuzz' paint to no avail.

Regardless, have wondered what type coating it is [do like the looks of it] and pretty sure I've never been exposed to Nextel coated horns/whatever, but if humidity affects it, won't work around here except indoors with a good A/C system.

GM

I’ve seen it on bike builds from the 60’s we called it velvet paint, not sure who made it though.

I’ve seen it on bike builds from the 60’s we called it velvet paint, not sure who made it though.

Yep, that's what I mostly shot the suede on.

Anyway, sheesh! Forgot to search 'suede' :(...... went straight to it! Dulux [knew it was an oddball name], though appears to have changed [been 'toned down'] and they have velvet too, though not sure if it's the brand from way back when.

Either one might be worth a try on a relatively coarse finish like the old alum. Altecs, plus water based now, so should have no humidity issues: Dulux Design Suede Effect

GM

"From rocket boosters and racecars to industrial furnaces and fuel cells, 3M™ Nextel™ Ceramic Fibers and Textiles help enable and protect critical equipment ..."

Yeah, just read up on it, so probably seen plenty of it in my time ['67-94] doing projects for military, aerospace, blast furnaces, et al, as well as being around all manner of pro racing for most of my life and got the poor hearing to prove it :RIP:.

GM

From post 1001:
The cone is different though, especially around the dustcap.
Moreover, despite its generous X-max, the Beyma wouldn't appreciate port tuning at 22kHz.

They pretend to use TAD, but that presumably applies to the comp. driver.
The only TAD woofer with a similar cone/dustcap is the TL-1602, but that one has a foam surround instead of a triple roll.

Well, depending on how you photograph it even the cone center looks quite similar. And it seems to use the same dustcap.

And I fully agree with you that a port tuning at 22 kHz wouldn't make any sense ! ;) That would not even work with a superexpensive TAD. :p

Mine use a tuning frequency around 30 Hz BTW.

Regarding the "generous x-max": From the voice-coil overhang I regard them as having an x-max of +- 5 mm. Which is still sufficient IMO. I strongly believe that a two-way speaker is seriously underdimensioned if its woofer regularily exceeds +- 3mm of excursion.

And the ones on the Model 5 are definitley not TAD or JBL drivers because they are lacking that typical brushed front of the basket.

It could be that these woofers are indeed built by Beyma but that they are a custom build.

Regards

Charles

Attachments

• Bey_15lx.jpg
    Bey_15lx.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 416