Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Very nice, but here we talk about speakers that can go lower and with much higher SPL. At the levels the OP is demanding your speaker would either dissolve or evaporate or even both at once.
And that is exactly the challenge: Low non linear distortion (at high SPLs) AND full-range (with good FR linearity) AND high SPL capability (also at low frequencies).

Regards

Charles

Well it is not that simple I would say.
While you are definitley right when it comes to subwoofers this is not actually true for every type of woofer. When the driver has to reproduce midrange as well then there is not just the influence on frequency response (which can be dealt with) from Le but also the non-linear behaviour of Le versus coil position. This leads to midrange IMD. There are of course drivers with high Le and low variance of it where it doesn't matter that much and it might not matter very much when Le is small but the variance is increased as long as one stays away from the pole that is defined by Le and Re.

Interesting, and very true.

OTOH I built a 2x15" in order to have a speaker with very low excursion even at loud (but not insanely loud) listening levels. In this case it doesn't matter that much either I guess.

Exactly ;-)

My own design approach moves from the notion that high excursion is always bad. If you want to move more air in the bass, then you should have more active surface (Sd), NOT more excursion.

And once you have ensured that excursion remains low enough, then all the aforementioned problems with Le non-linearity become irrelevant anyway.

Perception of sound is a subjective affair.
At home there are a lot factors contributing to the actual perception.
That's also why I don't take 80-90% of the so called audiophiles seriously.

80-90% of audiophiles are Hi-Fi folks who's goal is "accuracy"? In my impression, the number is much lower than that even in this DIY forum with a lot of people who do understand technical engineering. They are rather loud minority.

I like the concept of high end audio defined by Harry Pearson. It's all subjective while accuracy still can be a goal.

...high-end could be defined as "gear below which’s price and performance one could not go without compromising the music and the sound.

Last edited:
For those who like even more authority in the bass range this might be something to consider 8) :

Search Results for “quattro” – Augspurger

I don't know however whether the main speakers are actually two way or two and a half. But maybe the beaming wouldn't actually matter in the case of it being a two way when they are mainly built for staying alive when someone is cranking like mad on bass-heavy tracks.

Regards

Charles

My own design approach moves from the notion that high excursion is always bad. If you want to move more air in the bass, then you should have more active surface (Sd), NOT more excursion.

And once you have ensured that excursion remains low enough, then all the aforementioned problems with Le non-linearity become irrelevant anyway.

Although I do not want to dismiss Le as irrelevant, I agree with this statement.

80-90% of audiophiles are Hi-Fi folks who's goal is "accuracy"? In my impression, the number is much lower than that even in this DIY forum with a lot of people who do understand technical engineering. They are rather loud minority.

I like the concept of high end audio defined by Harry Pearson. It's all subjective while accuracy still can be a goal.

...high-end could be defined as "gear below which’s price and performance one could not go without compromising the music and the sound.

I don't think the majority of people that own/buy Wilson, Sonus Faber, Magico, Kharma etc. are active members of this forum.

Price isn't necessarily correlated to "quality". You can build a stunning loudspeaker system for the price of 1 small B&W monitor speaker. You'll have to purchase the parts either used or at a discounted price.
I recently bought a pair of NOS woofers for €75 that are still available for €280 each at some stores.

Last edited:
Interesting, and very true.

Exactly ;-)

Totally agree that active surface area (Sd) is the better form of displacement than excursion.

That said however, once Sd is established and becomes a given, I try to use the driver(s) with the greatest xmax.

My assumption is the greater the range of usable excursion, the higher the probability of lower distortion at excursions well below xmax.

I've been using 18n862's based on that thinking...(along with a lot of good test data on the web..)

Also, I tend to think of unused xmax as headroom, analogous to amplifier headroom. There's no doubt in my mind it often helps with huge transients.

Last edited:
Totally agree that active surface area (Sd) is the better form of displacement than excursion.

That said however, once Sd is established and becomes a given, I try to use the driver(s) with the greatest xmax.

My assumption is the greater the range of usable excursion, the higher the probability of lower distortion at excursions well below xmax.

Also, I tend to think of unused xmax as headroom, analogous to amplifier headroom. There's no doubt in my mind it often helps with huge transients.

This depends on the driver's design. Usually the better midwoofers are X-max limited. IOW you'll need a bigger cab.
These days, most woofers are designed to go loud and low in relatively small cabs. This is reflected in the electrical and mechanical parameters.
If you take a look at B&C's current line of woofers and compare parameters to those of 15 years ago you'll notice this trend> higher power rating, higher x-max, low Vas, low Qts etc.
Evidently, there's the trade-off between excursion, output etc.

It's not surprising Faital's mid woofers are well-suited for domestic use.

Last edited:
I can think of many reasons, but I am not an OB proponent, because of the basic concept (back wave vs room).
That's not to dismiss OBs entirely. I just don't like the limitations, of which low efficiency is just one.
You'll have to solve quite a few conflicts, in order to get a coax (woofer + comp.) to work nicely in an OB.
Doesn't mean it can't be done, but I don't see the merits.

With regards to vintage cinema: In the US, during the 1940s OBs were replaced by front loaded woofers (often in combination with reflex ports).

What design would you perfer for a bass /midbass loudspeaker driver unit ?
A high efficiency motor on a small membrane with low acoustic resistance controlled by the suspension OR a low efficiency motor on a large membrane with a vey high acoustic resistance controlled by the air ?
With others words with some humor, if you have to run your car on the sand what would you choose ? paddle tires OR slick tires ?

Last edited:
If headroom, or voicecoil heat, or Le(x) are an issue, it's usually because the system is undersized IMO. That doesn't mean that quality drivers aren't still advantageous, but a simple inexpensive paper cone driver operated well within its limits usually isn't that far off from a very high quality driver operated well within its limits.

My best subwoofers were all made with very basic drivers. Good quality, but stamped frame, poly, etc. They were so good because the designs leveraged distortion and force cancellation, and had plenty of surface area.

It is all about the money!

This depends on the driver's design. Usually the better midwoofers are X-max limited. IOW you'll need a bigger cab.
These days, most woofers are designed to go loud and low in relatively small cabs. This is reflected in the electrical and mechanical parameters.
If you take a look at B&C's current line of woofers and compare parameters to those of 15 years ago you'll notice this trend> higher power rating, higher x-max, low Vas, low Qts etc.
Evidently, there's the trade-off between excursion, output etc.

It's not surprising Faital's mid woofers are well-suited for domestic use.

Question: For a given motor strength and excursion [Xmax], what is the length [l] of voice coil wire that remains is in the magnetic gap for a given [Re]? If we are talking about an underhung design, increasing [Xmax] requires deep buyer pockets. We are now in Goto Unit and ALE country. If [Sd] is increased, then response top end is the sacrificial lamb. Beryllium to the rescue, still even a few Dollars (Yen) more for a compression driver only. For an example of state of the art, have a look at Power Soft's M-Force motor.
YouTube

WHG

Last edited:
If headroom, or voicecoil heat, or Le(x) are an issue, it's usually because the system is undersized IMO. That doesn't mean that quality drivers aren't still advantageous, but a simple inexpensive paper cone driver operated well within its limits usually isn't that far off from a very high quality driver operated well within its limits.

My best subwoofers were all made with very basic drivers. Good quality, but stamped frame, poly, etc. They were so good because the designs leveraged distortion and force cancellation, and had plenty of surface area.

Good point.

There are a lot of misconceptions with regards to driver quality vs. system perfomance.
It's quite obvious why a B&C TBX driver requires a considerable amount of amp. current to 'come to life'. The question remains whether this is desirable and necessary.

Last edited:
True, as well as for others.

WHGeiger, I think this has been the focus of JBL engineers in development of JBL's top of the line woofers in the last 25 years.
but are they contributing here?

Bass compression drivers are beyond my level of sanity.

Just exploring the limits. You can get clean, prodigious bass reproduction even in a relative small footprint as exemplified by the PS product. To reproduce the first octave of music (and other program content as well) requires moving a lot of air. WHG

What design would you perfer for a bass /midbass loudspeaker driver unit ?
A high efficiency motor on a small membrane with low acoustic resistance controlled by the suspension OR a low efficiency motor on a large membrane with a vey high acoustic resistance controlled by the air ?
With others words with some humor, if you have to run your car on the sand what would you choose ? paddle tires OR slick tires ?

Neither, I like high sensitivity with large cones.