Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

As well, the M2 Cd isn't that great below 900hz from what I've gathered in my studies. The lower the crossover the better I say, and 800hz on a 15" isn't exactly choice from my calculations of Ka. I still believe in the M2 and that it is what I want in a two way, its just that I attempted to reach for those type of specs in a DIY and ended up with a 3 way.....lol...I haven't purchased woofers YET, don't think I won't buy the 2216ND lol!!

There's never been a 15" that does 20-800Hz flawlessly, neither does the 2216Nd.
I am sure the Faital 15FH500 and 15PR400 beat the 2216Nd in the midrange, easily.
Add to this the less than stellar performance of the D2430K down low and it becomes clear the M2 is a compromise, though still a good one.
I believe the lack of refinement in the midrange was also mentioned in the shootout between the M2 and the Revel Salon2.

If you'd increase the required low-end extension from 20 to 30 (or 35) Hz, you'll open up a whole world of alternative configurations.

Last edited:
From looking at the 2216Nd engineering datasheet, it seems JBL basically combined a midwoofer motor structure with a fairly heavy cone and semi-lossy suspension. It's well engineered with high quality parts which is reflected in the Klippel data.

Honestly, I doubt it'll appreciate long term high power levels.
On paper, the LaVoce woofer shown earlier will eat the 2216Nd for breakfast.

It's also obvious the 2216Nd, as used in the M2, is boosted at the low end.

Last edited:
Have you ever been in a small multi-sub studio?
I found the subs aren't even used most of the times.

Car audio...
Aston Martin DB9 & Vantage, BMW 7-series, Bentley Continental, Mercedes S-Class, Volvo S90, Audi A8, Porsche Cayenne and 911s, Lexus LS....you name it.
A car interior is about the worst space for sound.
Subs in cars: if you want the girls or kids in the back to feel sick, those are perfect instruments.

It's not about reproduction per se, it's more about reproduction relative to the environment.
Just my 2c.
I have a small multi sub studio myself, all subs are working.

Car audio simply disproves the myth that you can't reproduce frequencies longer than the dimensions of the room.

BNL

I do not doubt that. Although I think that there are many similarities between these 2 systems.
The TAD can be considered as a distant descendant of the WE757A.
If the TAD were not better, what would the meaning of progression be?

Still...I bet there will be plenty of folks who prefer the midrange of the WE757A to that of the 2404 in a 1 on 1 comparison. How could that be?
hint: these people are not all crazy ;)

Based on the interest here, the following is a worth while read, if you have not already done so.
A lot of the JBL/TAD product referenced here is the results of Bart's engineering efforts. WHG

When I run modeling it tells me that I have good aspect on what to watch for when it comes to avoiding IMD....excursion. In my completely improper experiment, I watched the excursion of an 8" woofer while playing my reference track (drake - I'm upset) one of several reference songs in my arsenal with sub bass in 30's...and I increased the volume until the IMD was detrimental to the source. The excursion at the point of unacceptability was somewhere around 10mm-12mm but twas only a guess. Obviously I could of been more scientific but the objective was on point not to mention my definition acceptability isn't the standard for hi-fi lol. When I run modeling for the 15h ported, the 15m sealed, and the 2216nd ported....the Jbl has significantly lower excursion. This is with the jbl running at 300 watts and the 15H/15M running at 500, both matching the speakers rms, and both the 15H and JBL crossing 30hz at 114db...So when i set out to design a competing 2-way, shooting for the stars, you could say....using AE woofers, excursion was only within this personal acceptable range when I introduced the 2nd woofer....at that point its like....you now have 2 woofers, why aren't you just making a 3 way...
Which has me thinking, if the excursion of the JBl 2216nd is the standard.....The dual AE15m Ported, has lesser excursion than the a single 2216nd....did I jump to a 3 way too fast? The thing that persuaded me was the lack of limitation on the bottom end brought upon by the excursion abilities of the 15H, which would only be utilized during cinematic content per say.....hmmmm choices choices....Then when I look at modeled group delay, AE has jbl beat hands down, on the lowest register with a single AE15H beating out dual 15m's.....I like where this is heading

I have a small multi sub studio myself, all subs are working.

Car audio simply disproves the myth that you can't reproduce frequencies longer than the dimensions of the room.

At lower output levels it's probably functional.

As regards car audio. I know a lot of money and effort is put into R&D of "in-car multimedia" which includes audio. To me, it's little more than "optimizing gadgets", which seems more important than the actual car these days.

Solutions for fundamentally flawed assumptions do not necessarily result in a high-quality (or desirable) outcome.

Yeeeeaaa another person with Aquaplas titanium! What is your experience? Only thing better is Beryllium from what I can tell. If noticed with my xover points, 130hz between the 15h and 15m....thats pretty much all sub territory, though 80hz and below is closer to technical sub territory, the low pass on most subs tops at 130hz....I think GM suggested 60hz as a Xover point even. Once I have the system built I can experiment. From experience I can say that serious excursion begins at about 200hz-130hz and below.

ON the M2, I don't feel like I am downplaying the sophistication of the M2, rather, I am not intimidated. Theres nothing about the M2 that isn't repeatable, is my point. Even if its just simply buying the same drivers and putting them in a box. the crossover point is 800hz? So theoretically I could buy the same drivers and horn, put them in a box, and have a DIY M2. The active crossovers aren't magic and the drivers are purchasable to the masses. Enclosure is at the mercy of ones skills. Are you telling me that there is no other 2 way design that even compares to the M2? If thats so, the drivers are still the mainstay of the M2's allure. has anyone even tried to replicate the M2 results using the AE drivers? Sounds like the the Jbl M2 driver is the best of the AE 15m and 15H combined. Lets not leave out that the M2 compression driver isn't exactly the end all driver, there are people with better ears and experience than I who have made it clear that the 4" Diaphragms have something that the M2 compression driver is lacking....."Authority" being one the words I see repeated. As well, the M2 Cd isn't that great below 900hz from what I've gathered in my studies. The lower the crossover the better I say, and 800hz on a 15" isn't exactly choice from my calculations of Ka. I still believe in the M2 and that it is what I want in a two way, its just that I attempted to reach for those type of specs in a DIY and ended up with a 3 way.....lol...I haven't purchased woofers YET, don't think I won't buy the 2216ND lol!!

Hello camplo,

I have the JBL 2453h-SL 4" compression drivers mated to the JBL 2384 waveguide using a linear phase digital XO at 630 Hz as recommended by JBL when using active XO. The 2453h-SL are the cheapest 4" CD's as you can't drop in different phragms. I am very happy with the sound quality from these CD's. Very smooth and low distortion. Recommended.

If you go all the way back to post #15, I linked to a member of the AVSForum that tested a number of JBL CD's including the D2 on the 2384 waveguide, which wasn't the best match: Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews It looks like the D2 is best XO'd at 800 Hz and designed for the M2 waveguide.

The advantage of the D2 driver is it's ring radiator extension as the 2nd diaphragm. I am fortunate of the Ti aquaplas, but the D2 has the extension to make it to 20 kHz for realz. The issue with the Be drivers is that they do not extend as high as the Ti aquaplas drivers and some add a supertweeter...but some don't and think it "marginally" sounds better than the SL JBL drivers. I don't know if the (significant) cost is warranted...

User pos has posted the eq for the M2 system so you can see for yourself what eq is being used: JBL M2 crossover - Google Docs

The JBL M2 and Revel Salon2 shootout folks refer to is a lot more even than most folks think. I think the real difference is the narrower directivity of the M2 as indicated by the "spinoramas". One may prefer more room sound if listening to classical music whereas others prefer more direct sound for rock (myself included).

My JBL 26SH-1 dual 15" driver are similar to the 2216nd as they are both dual voice coil and neo mags, but the latter being higher quality than the "cinema" version I use. Personally, I love the bass and midrange of these 15" drivers, they really track nicely, with a smooth response. I have not heard the AE drivers, but lots of folks love them for sure.

In my previous post, I linked to a diy M2 build thread. It is worth the time and effort to read through it. Regardless of what you choose, make sure you model the response with the cabs to get the low end you are looking for.

I am pretty happy with my 2 way with the addition of the subs:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good luck with your build!

Attachments

• F18 side.JPG
    F18 side.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,313
  • JBL 4722 Rythmik F18.JPG
    JBL 4722 Rythmik F18.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,350
At lower output levels it's probably functional.

As regards car audio. I know a lot of money and effort is put into R&D of "in-car multimedia" which includes audio. To me, it's little more than "optimizing gadgets", which seems more important than the actual car these days.

Solutions for fundamentally flawed assumptions do not necessarily result in a high-quality (or desirable) outcome.

1 You seem to assume that multiple subs don't work at high spl's. Do you have any argument about this, or just speculation?

2 What argument do you have that you can't reproduce frequencies larger than the dimensions of the room?

Not saying it doesn't, or can't work. From my experience both in small spaces and definitely in cars, very low frequency reproduction is not only compromised but often also highly uncomfortabele. It always puts a grin on my face once the panels begin to rattle in a €200.000 car. Even with the sub's output level behind the other channels.

But hey, it's a free world. This is just a matter of preference and opinion.

Last edited:
Based on the interest here, the following is a worth while read, if you have not already done so.
A lot of the JBL/TAD product referenced here is the results of Bart's engineering efforts. WHG

I guess this is the story you refer to (from the JBL history):

Dr. John Frayne (Westrex), having worked with Jim Lansing previously, met with Bill Thomas and Bart Locanthi for a discussion that would become legendary. Dr. Frayne brought along an example of the Western Electric 594A compression driver.
He had a simple question: “Can JBL make a permanent
magnet version of this driver?” The answer would result in the famous JBL 375.

The 594A had been out of production since shortly after
Western Electric left the cinema market in 1938. Previously, it had been at the heart of Western Electric’s large cinema loudspeakers. It was a field coil compression driver that was unique in its size and output, utilizing a 4" diaphragm, 2" throat exit and four-slit, circumferential phasing plug. Since discontinuance of the 594A, Altec’s smaller 288 compression driver ruled as the standard high-power transducer for cinema systems. Westrex believed that a permanent magnet version of the 594A could offer a competitive advantage against the Altec 288 because of its greater output.

Last edited:
Hello camplo,

I have the JBL 2453h-SL 4" compression drivers mated to the JBL 2384 waveguide using a linear phase digital XO at 630 Hz as recommended by JBL when using active XO. The 2453h-SL are the cheapest 4" CD's as you can't drop in different phragms. I am very happy with the sound quality from these CD's. Very smooth and low distortion. Recommended.

If you go all the way back to post #15, I linked to a member of the AVSForum that tested a number of JBL CD's including the D2 on the 2384 waveguide, which wasn't the best match: Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews It looks like the D2 is best XO'd at 800 Hz and designed for the M2 waveguide.

The advantage of the D2 driver is it's ring radiator extension as the 2nd diaphragm. I am fortunate of the Ti aquaplas, but the D2 has the extension to make it to 20 kHz for realz. The issue with the Be drivers is that they do not extend as high as the Ti aquaplas drivers and some add a supertweeter...but some don't and think it "marginally" sounds better than the SL JBL drivers. I don't know if the (significant) cost is warranted...

User pos has posted the eq for the M2 system so you can see for yourself what eq is being used: JBL M2 crossover - Google Docs

The JBL M2 and Revel Salon2 shootout folks refer to is a lot more even than most folks think. I think the real difference is the narrower directivity of the M2 as indicated by the "spinoramas". One may prefer more room sound if listening to classical music whereas others prefer more direct sound for rock (myself included).

My JBL 26SH-1 dual 15" driver are similar to the 2216nd as they are both dual voice coil and neo mags, but the latter being higher quality than the "cinema" version I use. Personally, I love the bass and midrange of these 15" drivers, they really track nicely, with a smooth response. I have not heard the AE drivers, but lots of folks love them for sure.

In my previous post, I linked to a diy M2 build thread. It is worth the time and effort to read through it. Regardless of what you choose, make sure you model the response with the cabs to get the low end you are looking for.

I am pretty happy with my 2 way with the addition of the subs:

757784d1558322977-cover-spectrum-spl-low-distortion-2-a-f18-jpg

757785d1558322977-cover-spectrum-spl-low-distortion-2-a-jbl-4722-rythmik-f18-jpg

Good luck with your build!

I've come across some of your post in the past and appreciate you sharing you experience. POS did a comparison of BE/Aquaplas/Ti diaphragms, Aquaplas has more dampening then all. Its response is smoother is well, pre-eq. I once considered the same waveguide, I'm don't remember what persuaded me to switch to a tractrix, maybe it was the uniform dispersion regardless of horizontal/vertical angle.

What do you guys think of a 2-way with dual 15'ms vs a 3 way with a 15m mid and 15h woofer?

I just found the force flat feature on winisd, lets see where this takes me

Camplo, you said you crossed both JBL and Ae at 30Hz, do you mean a HP?

114dB at 30Hz at Home :cheerful:

I meant on the modeling graph the plot crossed 30hz at the particular spl.

Forcing the response to flat has shown that the M2 woofer and the 15m are somewhat similar, though the M2 woofer has more excursion.

I am modeling for perfection at high level in order to expose weaknesses.
114db at 30hz....sounds like an extra fun movie night.

Still -
What do you guys think of a 2-way with dual 15'ms vs a 3 way with a 15m mid and 15h woofer?

Not saying it doesn't, or can't work. From my experience both in small spaces and definitely in cars, very low frequency reproduction is not only compromised but often also highly uncomfortabele. It always puts a grin on my face once the panels begin to rattle in a €200.000 car. Even with the sub's output level behind the other channels.

But hey, it's a free world. This is just a matter of preference and opinion.

No its not a matter of preference and opinion.
Nature works like that or it doesn't.

In this case, multiple subs work and you can reproduce frequencies longer than the dimensions of the room.

Le (voice coil inductance) is the LEAST relevant parameter in a Woofer. End of story.

Well it is not that simple I would say.
While you are definitley right when it comes to subwoofers this is not actually true for every type of woofer. When the driver has to reproduce midrange as well then there is not just the influence on frequency response (which can be dealt with) from Le but also the non-linear behaviour of Le versus coil position. This leads to midrange IMD. There are of course drivers with high Le and low variance of it where it doesn't matter that much and it might not matter very much when Le is small but the variance is increased as long as one stays away from the pole that is defined by Le and Re.
OTOH I built a 2x15" in order to have a speaker with very low excursion even at loud (but not insanely loud) listening levels. In this case it doesn't matter that much either I guess. When I have some time to spare I will remove one of the Woofers from the cab and check whether I can measure midrange distortion in the voice-coil current as a function of excursion from low frequencies.

It appears for the 4367 the part number is different, ending with 002 instead of 001.

IIRC the 4367 version is a little like the TADs form the TSP point of view.

Regards

Charles

Last edited:
I've been on a quest to build my own own reference monitor. In that journey I've come to know the JBL m2. Maybe its highly prized for its flat response but all I see is another 2-way. There are already flat two ways on the market. So not sure what the hype would be around this speaker, beyond having accuracy and spl, making useful for far field as well as near field.
As a full-range solution if a 2 way that took care of sub bass, gets rid of another cross and thats cool. I've found a driver that could be used for the top

FaitalPRO HF146 - 1.4" Compression Driver

A woofer for the bottom can be found. The question is, how is a woofer that is going to be easily responsible from 30hz to ~1000hz going to behave? Lets say we are auditioning rap, edm, or some other deep bass reproduction that causes high woofer excursion, how is the top range of that speaker going to sound? It seems to me a 3 way is almost always better, but I'm not the finally say, the results are, anyone have a strong opinion on this?

How about my work:
15WU/8741+6640, 10 Liter cabient.

SPL and Distortion measured @ 100W input, 1m distance:
222307t191wlm5pp98wlwt.png

I will never use 100W input power for this speaker, because my small listening room is only 7m^2.

Attachments

• 2-way 100W input SPL and THD.png
    2-way 100W input SPL and THD.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 325