Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #8561
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Seaton sound Catalyst is a 8" coax with 2x 12" in MTM config.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #8562
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

That Tannoy looks like a nice box, hadn't seen it before.

And yep, seen/heard & done similar....

Here's a 15" B&C coax i made with the same idea, 4 reflex ports in corners.
The foamboard horn ring was about trying to get some extra horn umph.....

coax horn try.jpg

.....horn ring didn't work and i got rid of it in favor of a flat baffle.

And then painted and put a screen grill on the box, to go with a pair of 18fh500 reflex subs. Stuck it all up in dock rafters for party by the water.
coax rig dock.jpg
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #8563
paul7052 is offline paul7052  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Coax top

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
using a Coaxial top, results in an interesting amount of sd.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...1&d=1634487868

Top is just primed. Vortex15.

Bottom is AETD15S.

Not completed yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TD15S and Coax copy.jpg (85.2 KB, 99 views)
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #8564
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Using the knowledge I've picked up in this thread, and applying it to the idea of using a Coaxial top, results in an interesting amount of sd.

I noticed that with the Kingdom model the Tweeter is being crossed at 700hz... Its likely that the same potential is true for the Tweeter in the VX line. From there one would cross over to the low woofer at what?

Sensitivity is high for both the tweeter and mid woofer of the Tannoy vx15
The Tannoy vx15 uses a 2" HF diaphragm crossing to a more sensitive 15" cone woofer "waveguide", the Kingdom model uses a 3" HF diaphragm crossing to a less sensitive 12" sealed cone "waveguide" with a tweeter above. A 3" is capable of about 7dB more output at 700 Hz than the 2", hence the higher 1300 Hz crossover for the 15".
The VX is a cheaper choice with more compromises made.

The 120 Hz crossover point chosen between the Kingdom's sealed 12" and it's 15" low woofer seems reasonable.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #8565
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

Sensitivity, efficiency, and directivity of a coaxial of this size can be comparable to that of compression drivers with horns or waveguides of the same diameter...

Mark and Paul have found themselves visiting the coaxial approach, maybe they can give us some personal opinion on the matter

I'm always looking for a spec to criticize in order to predict the actual sonic experience. In this instance I suspect Sensitivity to be a factor.
Quote:
Stuck it all up in dock rafters for party by the water.
So it didn't become your main system.

"The foamboard horn ring was about trying to get some extra horn umph" "horn ring didn't work and i got rid of it in favor of a flat baffle" - It would seem that if waveguides were as effective as horns, that you would of been successful here. I think effects of sensitivity is the missing factor you describe as "umph" What did you conclude on the source of the lack of "umph"???.....

weltersys - For the MTM I'm talking about, A 300hz xo seems more appropriate don't you think? Or maybe higher or as high as possible? The XO advantage with coaxial is the great improvement had with FIR. Do you have any insight into why Marks experience lacked "horn omph"?

Last edited by camplo; Yesterday at 09:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #8566
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?-coaxial-15cxn88-jpg
This polar is pretty much like the polars of some Horns and waveguides I've seen. The mass missing in the center helps keep the cone light. Comparing this to a compression driver +waveguide/horn crossed to a 15" woofer.... If one could get the coaxial as smooth as +/- 2db or so...who does the Coaxial seem to be "missing" something. The tweeter is a waveguided compression driver. 108db sensitivity for the tweeter and 100db sensitivity.....I'm guessing almost identical situation for the common 15" woofer + waveguided compression driver situation....

The CSD is in question. I am not sure why this isn't "The solution" for a lot more people. I would think its quality of the tweeter but it would seem that this would be sorted by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B&c Coaxial 15CXN88.jpg (575.0 KB, 43 views)
  Reply to this post

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!