Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
images and details taken from stereonet australia forums.

"Altec MR94B Mantaray constant directivity horns with 288C compression drivers and Altec 413-8 bass drivers in Onken designed cabinets re-tuned to 33Hz.

Passive two way Hiraga crossovers suited for 24 ohm compression drivers and 8 ohm bass drivers as above.

Overall very smooth, detailed and gets down to 25Hz with no effort. No sub required most of the time."

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg.a89854ef704e0ccf0d8d9ba956e3afd7.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg.a89854ef704e0ccf0d8d9ba956e3afd7.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0715.jpg.4711c3edc8b2a894d6a8daca79dd9676.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg.4711c3edc8b2a894d6a8daca79dd9676.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 391
Has anybody that follows this thread ever experienced such a 'Keele style' JBL cinema install? I haven't, at least not consciously.

Well, Star Wars VI was THX at Lenox Square [popular somewhat upscale Atlanta Mall] in '83, so assume it was JBL since the better performing B0$3 system was too pricey and years before Altec's A10-MR945A [not EV as I previously noted] was certified IIRC. I guess I was thinking EV since by then Altec had moved to the University Sound [later EVI] Okla. plant: ALTEC LANSING A10-MR945A VOTT SPEAKER SYSTEM MANUAL Pdf Download.

Local cinemaplex were horrible sounding Klipsch last time I went to one for 'Saving Private Ryan'. Sheesh! Doesn't seem like 19 yrs ago.

Anyway, bet the A10 sounds better, what with a smaller throat, big a$$ Mantaray! ;)

Wish I could have auditioned Altec's original A9, 10 monster IB Dolby submissions for Star Wars IV, but allegedly, JBL 'bought' the contract since Altec was in financial trouble: A9 A10

GM

images and details taken from stereonet australia forums.

"Altec MR94B Mantaray constant directivity horns with 288C compression drivers and Altec 413-8 bass drivers in Onken designed cabinets re-tuned to 33Hz.

Passive two way Hiraga crossovers suited for 24 ohm compression drivers and 8 ohm bass drivers as above.

Overall very smooth, detailed and gets down to 25Hz with no effort. No sub required most of the time."

Very nice! Poor driver match up, but guess it's 'slim pickings' when wanting Altec 'down under' and still better overall than most 15" woofers.

Won't 'dig down' to ~16 Hz like the Santiago's original 411, but if it's doing < 30 Hz with authority, not too shabby after cheapening it up.

GM

Btw, I don't suggest a Faital is better than an Altec or any JBL driver. Just that New GPA drivers are quite expensive, as is used Altec. In addition, used Altec can be damaged or broken.

The original 4" JBL 244.. drivers used with the 2360 are good for midrange and up to 15kHz max. At home the smaller diaphrams of the Faitals are capable of 500-600Hz, but better >10kHz.

Last edited:
Btw, I don't suggest a Faital is better than an Altec or any JBL driver. Just that New GPA drivers are quite expensive, as is used Altec. In addition, used Altec can be damaged or broken.

The original 4" JBL 244.. drivers used with the 2360 are good for midrange and up to 15kHz max. At home the smaller diaphrams of the Faitals are capable of 500-600Hz, but better >10kHz.

Understood.

Yeah, GPA pricing is a bit much since it's a ~hand crafted, very low volume assembly.

I'm just curious because I haven't paid any serious attention to new prosound drivers since the late '80s and no attention after the Altec distributor switched to B0$3 in the early '90s.

Re JBL to 15 kHz?! They must have done some serious improvement somewhere along the line [see attached].

GM

Attachments

• 288-8G Vs JBL2440_TL_231.pdf
    552.8 KB · Views: 65
Altec drivers are quite expensive and then it remains to be seen whether these are technically ok.

I really like the Faital stuff. Look @ company profile:

https://faitalpro.com/downloads/files/documents/FaitalPRO_Company_Profile.pdf

BTW i own Altec 288 and like them, but i think that Faital Pro is completely underated and they have better driver for home use. IMHO it makes no sense to „hunt“ for old grannies like 288 or 24xx in bad shape or pairs with completely different manufacturing dates or magnet status.

Perhaps I was not clear enough about the JBL 4" drivers.

After a lot of effort it appears some members of the Lansing forum have managed to squeeze out 15kHz, but obviously this isn't 'clean output'.

For sure, though a conical horn + some CD horn EQ [RLC network, AKA frequency contour filter] will do it at the expense of efficiency, which of course is the physics of the situation [speaker design 101], i.e. always trading efficiency for [a wider] BW.

GM

Perhaps I was not clear enough about the JBL 4" drivers.

After a lot of effort it appears some members of the Lansing forum have managed to squeeze out 15kHz, but obviously this isn't 'clean output'.

The 4" JBL Ti drivers coated with aquaplas do a good job, like the 2453H-SL in which you can see some plots here: 2453H-SL on STX825 waveguide over 2265g-1 center channel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
My 2453H-SL's on the 2384 waveguide measure very similar in the top octave. Looking at the distortion curves, it is pretty clean output.