Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2021, 04:47 AM   #6291
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
If you can see the throat then just use a finger. They are very sensitive to mismatches like this.
+1
Works when applying wood putty to joints as well
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:38 AM   #6292
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

OK major noob alert.....I dunno....it seems like if it don't fit one way... it won't fit the other....I played around with the gasket a little and tried reseating the horn...took one rotation...or where ever it landed when I put it back (and I got it seated perfect)...I used an engineers ruler to measure the holes on horn and gasket...gasket is dead nuts 2"....horn is 1" - 31/32....but the exit angle is not 0...how I overlooked this one aspect is sad...but it is not the end...I looked back through my conversations (with the horn builder) to see if and when I brought up exit angle and could not find it...why would I assume the exit angle would be 0 is beyond me...am I not viewing this topic right? If the exit angle of the Axi is 0 degrees...thats flat right?...so I would want the horn exit to start on the same vector right?

I can say at this point that the horns appear to be of high quality (now that I've got the throat lined about perfect)...for hand made custom wood assembly...I'd definitely use their services LMH

Shameless plug there...they have won my affection for building a custom horn in the future....In the mean time I know that I will enjoy what I have....I ran some test tones today.....350hz at ~115db at 1 meter...~140 something db at the mouth...I was going to share them but my 4 year old decided too many windows were open in my absence and closed out REW....those measurements probably include some kind of room gain is my guess? seemed to be modal... Room eq at 350hz really?

I thought I understood amplifiers well enough....so confused how this amp should be 2000watts rms...but yet I can only get so much volume after subtractive eq and high pass....and when I run test tones through REW I get much more volume than running VLC and mp3's? Makes no sense. Guess I'll get there slowly but surely... Not sure how accurate my measurements are but that 350hz test tone was much louder than I'd be playing it at nearfield and that was just one driver going so I am very confident, so far, about crossing at 400hz.....or basically as low as 350hz as long as system group delay stays in check......with a 350hz horn...I compared the spectral decay to that of a krk kevlar 4" and they were very similar.....the group delay of the resonate tail of the horn was the one major difference.

Hopefully more progress tomorrow.

Last edited by camplo; 22nd January 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:43 AM   #6293
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

A couple of pictures of the horn driver interface issue might make it easier for advice to be offered.
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:28 AM   #6294
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?-idhitthat-jpg

The volume between 400 and 2khz are similar though my measurements are at the mouth of the horn the measurements of the ATC sm75 are at 9"....in that small range you get reference and with distance accounted for, the magnitudes are similar in that area. I'm not sure if the distortion figures can be compared.
I think I used a 400hz 6db/oct xo and some eqing? I initially wanted to compare the resonant character of each...I cant say they are miles apart. Spectral graphs are set up for -25db
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Idhitthat.jpg (382.9 KB, 992 views)

Last edited by camplo; 22nd January 2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 25th January 2021, 03:30 PM   #6295
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

A question about voicing...any reading towards techniques? Mainly I was wondering if I can take a measurement at listening point and gate the results to show only direct energy and use that response for voicing? I mean I know I can do it...is it a good idea?
Old 25th January 2021, 04:41 PM   #6296
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I would not do this in-situ, but create an environment that is as free from reflections as possible, then gate. This will yield the direct response and it is critical that this be smooth. SO, yes it is a good idea, totally necessary IMO.
Old 1st February 2021, 10:26 AM   #6297
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
You would have to elaborate on the mid array aspect...crossed where I'd wonder.. and the outcome would have to keep the tweeter at ear level.
Take a look at the Gryphon Pendragon - basically it's a two-way, the ribbon covers the range from 300 to 18k, AMTs work as a supertweeter miniarray.

I am thinking about substituting the ribbon with a long array of suitable small widerange drivers that can go low enough, that is 200<300. I am sure there are suitable drivers on the diy market.

The midtweeter array could be flat on-wall, for greater dynamic range and easier integration with bass towers

Last edited by graaf; 1st February 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:27 AM   #6298
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what "on wall" means...but I think you just mean on the front baffle?

I got around to hooking up the DATS....below is the impedance I believe...I wonder if i play with mass and driver sd figures if I'll get readings on the rest of the specs?

What do you guys thing? Take the Axi apart so I set some mass on the diapragm?
Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axi Impedance.jpg (276.9 KB, 498 views)

Last edited by camplo; 3rd February 2021 at 06:56 AM.
Old 3rd February 2021, 07:01 AM   #6299
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

theres a post somewhere on the internet with several compression drivers compared...

Impedance and spectral decay were shown and i think some older jbl Be drivers were in the mix....I'd love to compare my measurements... of course can't find it now...anyone got a link to any measurements I might compare?
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:31 AM   #6300
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ti is popular with the pros because it does not harden when you slap the diaphragm onto the phase plug, this means you can abuse it and not have it harden and then shatter.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!