Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2019, 06:50 AM   #621
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Is that a product that I could purchase?
Old 25th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #622
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

No, but you could make/print these or similar horns. This horn has a full rollback, but it's possible to 'cut' IT at 90. This would result in some diffraction and reflectance though.

Last edited by Ro808; 25th May 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 25th May 2019, 08:54 AM   #623
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
There's a lot going on there, I wasn't trying to write the book on driver design for midrange vs. woofers and subs
Not necessarily having much impact on midrange viability- case in point, the shorting sleeve solution accomplishes both improvement to thermal performance as well as better midrange viability.
I'm on the train of thought of my design and therefore intensely biased... it is not easy to damp a extremely large membrane on a powerfull motor where there is no place for a shorting sleeve, but IMHO it is more a technical design choice than a vital element.
Old 25th May 2019, 05:59 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverprout View Post
I'm on the train of thought of my design and therefore intensely biased... it is not easy to damp a extremely large membrane on a powerfull motor where there is no place for a shorting sleeve, but IMHO it is more a technical design choice than a vital element.
I think you took the right train (of thought), silversprout
Old 25th May 2019, 08:25 PM   #625
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
I think you took the right train (of thought), silversprout
Your remark opens the field of philosophy, so i will do what i can and stay far away of any dogmatism because there is no good desing
Old 26th May 2019, 01:25 AM   #626
diyAudio Member

Are you still building/experimenting? We had some exchange of thoughts last year, if I remember correctly. You showed a paper mache horn ao.
For your intimite listening space, I would opt for an efficient 12 or 15" with horn or AMT from 60-80Hz and up, complemented with 2 smaller (active) subs.
You might want to look for some older B&C's like the 12 PE 32, 12 PH 32, 12 PL 32 (or equivalent drivers from other brands) which are perfect for such a setup.

At night you could switch off the subs, in order to listen without disturbing the neighbours
Old 26th May 2019, 03:08 AM   #627
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I can't believe the only source of horns is Poland...like, seriously?
I did find this 2" to 1.5" or 2"Throat Horn Flare Bolt On 10" x 18" For Assorted Bolt On Drivers | eBay
a version of another horn recommended in this thread that has some kind of 1.5-2" adapter.
Old 26th May 2019, 05:49 AM   #628
diyAudio Member

That's the horn also known as the ZXPC 10x18, available at this store for 10 bucks less.
They also sell the 11x17, a Selenium/JBL clone with somewhat narrower dispersion (contrary to the specified 90x40), but pretty good nonetheless.

The 10x18 is also sold by PRV Audio and available at PE.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th May 2019, 06:09 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

If you want to buy horns (and perhaps build your own later):

For a 1.5" throat... I would probably stick with JBL, join the 'diffraction club' and buy these...

Or the horns that Mitch owns.

PS, PM sent.

Last edited by Ro808; 26th May 2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 26th May 2019, 06:36 AM   #630
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

So diffraction slots are not a deal breaker? The jbl 2834 and m2 horn any good?

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!