Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

As far as I remember I haven't heard the DCX50, but from the comments online it should be a nice driver. The mids appear to be its strongpoint, HF extension is limited though.

There was a first batch of the DCX464 for sale here in Europe, for €450 each.
That driver would be the better option. It's probably the best Coax on the market.
It may ( ;) ) even beat the Celestion Axi2050, but I doubt I'd prefer it to the Faital HF1440.

Last edited:
Woofers on a stick...

With AE Dipole 15s:

1.jpg

Or Faital-Pros:

1.jpg

Compression driver is 4015Be for the AE version and 4015 Nitride for the Faital version.

Those are 2-way systems with according to specs, max continuous Sound Pressure Level:
- 105 dB @ 18 Hz, 120 dB (40 Hz-20 kHz) > AE
- 105 dB @ 30 Hz, 127 dB (60 Hz-20 kHz) > Faital

There's also a version with 18" Faitals available.

Last edited:
The mouth still looks similar to some of the 18Sound horns, but the throat is definitely different, without the usual slot.
At least on the image below, the throat area doesn't look particularly smooth.
The flare appears to be (hyp)expo or perhaps even (truncated) spherical.

interior-bespoke.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it's quite easy to cover the whole spectrum as a two-way. I have a few designs that achieve this. The summer rain horn uses the Neo8 Planar Transducer to cover 200Hz - 20kHz. My ES300 Circular Pedal Horn covers 300Hz - 20kHz. Both these products are available as speaker plans on my site. I'm working on a bass cabinet currently that goes with these designs. Right now I plan on using the Fostex FW208HS woofer in a slot ported cabinet, but I still need to build the bass cabinet to confirm it's performance. Both horn designs I've built and tested and I can share the measured performance results with those interested.

Summer Rain Horn Speaker Plans

ES300 Pedal Horn Speaker Plans

Also, I've attached a CAD rendering of the bass cabinet under development and a picture my Fostex woofer I'll be using.

Attachments

• Render6.JPG
    Render6.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 320
  • FW2085HS.jpg
    FW2085HS.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 306
The Bespoke range consists of 6 products: €31’000/€35’000/€62’000/€65’000 for P15/P18/E12/E15 models respectively.

Recently, a new family member was added, the P1805 with 3” titanium nitride coated titanium diaphragm compression driver and two 18”.

bg_p1805.jpg

Hypex modules are included, two amps in each enclosure. DSP and filtering are secret. There are no drivers’ cuts as these introduce phase shifts. The company has developed their own crossover, not comparable to classical solutions. The custom filtering is done according to acoustical specifics introduced by horn and angled bass transducers’ array. This in order to achieve linear acoustical phase response.

I think this system shouldn't be too difficult to clone for an experienced loudspeaker engineer. The crossover is probably the most difficult to get right.

Hi Joseph, I like your projects.

Covering the whole spectrum with a 2-way is not particularly difficult, but it becomes another story if SPLs > 110dB are required.

Yes I like to horn load as low a frequency as possible using drivers that have a natural rising response. The horn provides the necessary 8 dB sensitivity increase for 2.5 octaves above the lower cutoff frequency. Sensitivity then becomes 95-100dB. I then like to use Class A amplification for the top section and a higher power solution for the low frequency. Horn loading below 200Hz becomes challenging for a domestic living space...an 80Hz front horn has to be 122cm long!