Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #581
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

The WAN154.00 is right in there to I see. I can't figure out why the WAN153.00 is so cheap? LaVoce WAN153.00 15" Neodymium Woofer 8 Ohm
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #582
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Someone made a comment tha they wouldn't use a woofer with a mms over 80 for mids, any merit to this?
Old Today, 12:28 AM   #583
Ro808 is online now Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It's a relatively new Company, originated from Hertz car audio.
The drivers are produced in China, which largely determines the price.
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #584
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Not really, here's an old Altec/GPA 15" with a usable 2 kHz, HR calculated Mmd = 85.97 gr, so Mms will be higher: http://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-conte...16/06/3154.pdf

There's been others in the past, but can't remember brand/models and don't have any of my old specs 'library' loaded. Regardless, this old 'rule of thumb' was disproved in the woofer 'speed' doc I posted earlier.

They're not as common nowadays simply because amps have such low output impedance that a high upper mass corner and super wide BW horn loading isn't required to offset a high output impedance.

If coupling to a matching impedance OTOH, then I'd set the bar down around 50 gr for a 15" to get driver basic 'snap' out to ~5 kHz.

GM
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #585
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

WEll this guy looking pretty tempting right now
LaVoce WAN154.02

Tuning the port to 35hz in a 2.75 cuft box matches the excursion of the 15m. About 100 dollars cheaper as well.
Old Today, 02:24 AM   #586
Ro808 is online now Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I made that comment on 80gr Mms as a rule of thumb.
Marco Gea correctly stated you cannot consider a driver solely based on mms without taking other parameters into consideration.

It is true that many highly regarded midwoofers are often low Mms.
The Faital 15PR400, the Eminence Deltalite 2515, some Celestions and the TD15M as well.

Often these woofers are also used as instrument loudspeakers, if a clean (undistorted) sound is desired.
This has been the case for classic woofers like the EV 15L, JBL e145 etc.
One almost forgotten gem is the Fane Studio 15L, of which I own a pair.
This is quite a special driver, does >130dB, is very linear, has low distortion, ultra high sensitivity, wide bandwidth etc.

Last but not least: the Altec/GPA 816A also belongs to this category.

I found many of today's drivers lacking the subtle midrange qualities of the drivers above, luckily there are still many similar drivers available that I didn't mention. You cannot just substitute the impact on sonic performance of a heavier cone/suspension with motor force, amp power etc. It's not just that simple, even though this stuff in itself isn't exactly simple, technically speaking.
I have read many discussions/threads about this topic and some research (there's not much published), but up to now I haven't been converted.
The tech savy among us tend to focus on the T&S related aspects > motor strength, magnetic/voice coil structure, force/acceleration factor, in relation to cone/suspension etc.
But often people seem to ignore the many other tiny things at play here. Such as the shape, material composition of the cone, the surround, the spider, the coatings used etc. These and many many other things contribute to the driver's performance or more subjectively: sonic signature.

Earlier I mentioned the WE/Altec drivers; the 755, the 728B etc. Why are these drivers so immensely sought after?
One specific aspect is the cone, which was made from a special wood fiber pulp. The cones were often composed of several layers of different materials with a varying thickness towards the center cap/surround. Producing these cones was very expensive, but in those days the quality of specialty products was hardly cost-driven.

That's why the 594A is such an icon, it's still a benchmark, even 80 years after it's creation.
Today, it's cheaper to produce a small car than it is to reproduce a 594A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studio 15L Specifications.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Ro808; Today at 02:50 AM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!