Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Pink noise is flat, tonally. Which reads flat on 1/3rd octave scaling. This shows as a tilted response on "regular" FFT. White noise is flat, mathematically, reads flat on the FFT.

Sure I get pink noise is flat tonally to our ears...whereas white is equal in energy....

But I don't get what either pink or white noise have to do with FFT.
FFT can analyze either type noise, and show results in either pink or white space.
I see FFT as simply a math method to translate amplitude in the time domain to frequency domain.

Pink doesn't show as a tilted response on FFT software, because it knows the stimulus is pink.
White and pink are just different energy spectrum...I can't see how that has anything to do with how FFT works???

Maybe I'm missing something?

I refer to it as the 1/3rd octave scaling.....it may still be fft, I'm not sure what the scaling is on the "other" common metering. White noise does not show as a linear response if the scaling is set to 1/3rd octave. If the scaling is not 1/3rd octave, then pink noise will not show as linear. They are both fft style measurement I think but I am not certain.

I refer to it as the 1/3rd octave scaling.....it may still be fft, I'm not sure what the scaling is on the "other" common metering. White noise does not show as a linear response if the scaling is set to 1/3rd octave. If the scaling is not 1/3rd octave, then pink noise will not show as linear. They are both fft style measurement I think but I am not certain.

Hi Camplo, in the classes I've taken to try to learn about FFT, scaling normally refers to the frequency axis, whether it is linear or logarithmic.
And if logarithmic, whether marked by decade, octave, or 1/3 octave.
(I'm thinking this is of the kin you are talking about. ?)
So scaling really only refers to how frequency axis is laid out.

How the frequency data is grouped on that axis, whether by octave, 1/3 octave, 1/6th, ...1/48th is termed 'banding'.
The data can even be 'unbanded' where it shows as a line graph...just like a normal frequency response curve.

So, you can see FFT doesn't really have anything to do with a particular way of displaying data, or what type signal stimulus was used to obtain the data.
(The same data is used by FFT to generate mag, phase, impulse, RTA, spectrograph...etc etc.)

One can say if one measures in octaves, 1/3 octaves (or whatever has a constant RELATIVE bandwidth - which sounds even to our hearing) one has to be aware that the ABSOLUTE measurement bandwidth is increasing with measured frequency range. Therefore white noise with its constant density would show an increasing response if measured that way.

OTOH discrete Fourier transform uses frequency steps of a constant width, which in turn asks for a stimulus with linear density versus frequency. This constant frequency steps are the reason why the DFT Fourier transform based systems show a very coarse Resolution at the lower frequencies and a very high one at the higher frequencies as soon as the data is displayed on a logarithmic frequency axis BTW.

Regards

Charles

OTOH discrete Fourier transform uses frequency steps of a constant width, which in turn asks for a stimulus with linear density versus frequency. This constant frequency steps are the reason why the DFT Fourier transform based systems show a very coarse Resolution at the lower frequencies and a very high one at the higher frequencies as soon as the data is displayed on a logarithmic frequency axis BTW.

Regards

Charles

Oh, one more thing worth mentioning .....
rather than using a single FFT at a single sample rate,
good modern FFT's can use a series of sample rate decimations and varying FFT sizes, all stitched together to overcome the time vs freq trade-off.

For example, Smaart claims to achieve 1 Hz resolution at low frequencies with only 1/20th the number data points compared to a regular 32K FFT.

I never really did, get, Smaart....no pun intended. Its a piece of software that is just for taking measurements.....but it cannot do the eqing......whats so great about that.

SMAART is designed for live sound environments. they dont sell low latency DSP processors. and most systems have their own dsp avalible. the user just gets to piggyback on the dsp to get the overall system sounding good.

its designed to quickly get best effort mesurements which can help you get a good enough tune on whatever you are using, master channel eq, lake processor, 31 band etc.

also designed for continuous monitoring during performances, so its easy to chase down feedback etc.

its not for ultra high res mesurements in controlled environemtns like REW

Something along the lines of what you describe:
Quad 34 preamplifier | Stereophile.com

This was a nice pre-amp back in the day (had the original greenish version with a 405 and later a dark gray version with 606 power amp).
The tone controls were among the best ever implemented in a consumer audio product.

It would be pretty useless for a horn loaded loudspeaker system though, unless the XO is passive.

Last edited:
And just for fun, a small part of the studio of a producer/DJ that uses several spherical horn loudspeakers as monitors (from the same German brand as the loudspeaker in my previous post). One smaller monitor is visible on the left, with a reversed red bongo on top.

368632d1382566055-ricardo-villalobos-gear-419_villalobos_eurorack_1.jpg.pagespeed.ce.tjxbfvhaek.jpg

Last edited:
what you asked for still existed since decades. Look at Klangfilm or Voice of the Theatre. In the same way these Designs work with low Power amps. The very high end beyond 15k is not so important imho as less Musical Information is contained in this range. Therefore a 2way or 2.5 way is a more than appropriate approach.

Never the less high frequencies when available to be reproduced seem to influence the
lower frequencies we can hear. Two articles here discuss the importance of NOT cutting
frequencies off abruptly: It's Alive! Ultrasonic Spectra Isn't So Ultra Anymore
The World Beyond 20kHz