Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

QrQF7vX.jpg

15pr400 x2, 34 hz tuning

Nice!
Which comp. driver is mounted to the XT1464?

I don't think I've seen such huge ports so close together before.

Science versus subjective perception, an everlasting debate.

Earlier, examples were cited of 'scientifically' superior loudspeakers that were crunched in practice by theoretically far inferior products (i.e. waveguides vs. diffraction horns).

You seem a knowledgeable and experienced builder.
If you just compare specsheets of both drivers, what's your assessment?

Even from a technical/scientific point of view it's obvious why the 15PR400 is superior >500Hz.
I would (vaguely) suggest: just "read" (analyze) the driver and translate (visualize) its characteristics/specs into "sound".

After a few hundred different loudspeaker systems you'll start to "recognize patterns" ;)

... Or if you still don't believe those who commented on both drivers, just build the cabs and find out for yourself.

Agree... most if the pleasure is psychoacoustic highly influenced by what you see too..

If you google the drivers + horn you'll find a thread in another forum.
I leave it up to diyuser2010 to actually post a link.

This appears to be a well thought out project.
These speakers would work at home as well for fullrange PA duties in small venues were ultimate low-end extension isn't needed.

As some members of the (original) thread, I am also curious about the wiring of the woofers.

Last edited:
If you google the drivers + horn you'll find a thread in another forum.
I leave it up to diyuser2010 to actually post a link.

This appears to be a well thought out project.
These speakers would work at home as well for fullrange PA duties in small venues were ultimate low-end extension isn't needed.

As some members of the (original) thread, I am also curious about the wiring of the woofers.

Faital 15PR400, BMS 4594 MTM - Speaker Design - Data-Bass Forums

Woofers are 4 ohm models, wired in parallel.

You've probably considered wiring in series, or 2x 8 ohm drivers in parallel?

Any updates after the last post in the original thread?

I have briefly considered wiring the drivers in series, though 2 ohm loading is fine for any capable pro amp, and short cable runs. Considering the actual in box impedance, I don't see a problem running parallel 4 ohm drivers.

Completed assembly on 3 cabinets, though the last one is awaiting a small amount of filler work and painting, before reassembly with the drivers.

All of the measurement I have gathered at this time is from indoors, with an 8 foot ceiling so it is of limited value to post in my opinion. They are voiced with a combination of measurement and by ear.

I have briefly considered wiring the drivers in series, though 2 ohm loading is fine for any capable pro amp, and short cable runs. Considering the actual in box impedance, I don't see a problem running parallel 4 ohm drivers.

Completed assembly on 3 cabinets, though the last one is awaiting a small amount of filler work and painting, before reassembly with the drivers.

All of the measurement I have gathered at this time is from indoors, with an 8 foot ceiling so it is of limited value to post in my opinion. They are voiced with a combination of measurement and by ear.

Nice project ! !
I also use the 4594 on xt1464, in mtm and other designs. Love it...

My 2c on wiring the 15"s.....
I would not do 2R. IME, PLX's dont really like it despite the specs.
(I have plx's, pl3's, and pld's)
Plus, from a little above 100Hz to where ever you end up crossing to the BMS, the entire curve looks close to minimum impedance.

I just don't see any gain in going with parallel? But you must have a reason?

mark100, do you have a thread somewhere?
Which woofers do you use?

Personally, I would prefer series because of efficiency/easier load on (low power) amps.
Many of today's pro amps take a 2R load, but the better ones tend to be quite expensive.

If I understand correctly, diyuser2010 opted for parallel considering heating of the VCs.

Last edited: